retaining wall costs????

kjc79

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help us with finding this information out (we just need a rough ball part estimate) to help us determine if can afford to buy this piece of land we have seen.

we are majorly looking into pros and cons of building against buying and areas and if we could, would like to build at the coast estate.

There are a few pieces of land that dont include benching(?) and retaining but going back and looking it doesnt seem that much of an incline although still would need some retaining walls and the cost of that would determine if we could afford to get the land and build a little house we would want. we are unsure of how to measure so we can get quotes or if possible to do it ourselves and if we cant measure it how could we get someone out to see how much retaining wall we may need with it not being our land??

sorry for rambling and hope that makes sense:)

thanks kath x

Guest kangomik

i would imagine they would quote for free?

I was at the kids soccer the other night chatting, one guys brother has just paid 75,000 for the retaining wall alone!

Extreme i know, but just shows what is possible.

Guest nishman

A lot depends on the height - 1m is the magic number. Under 1m, any tom dick or harry can "design" and install. Above 1m, you need engineering calcs and council approval... From memory, moss rock types, because they're not engineered, don't need calcs or approval (approval only if it's on a boundary)

As an example, we've got 20+m of retaining (sleepers) going from 600 to 2000m along the boundary. Plus we had moss rock retaining across the back - three courses from about 1m to 2m. Engineering was already done as part of the house calcs, but we still had council approval.

All up - around $20k.

Consider soil disposal costs too if you're cutting more than you're filling over the block...

On the plus side, the moss rocks make for a good basis on the landscaping (albeit we have "lost" some flat garden area). Also, you don't tend to get a view on a flat estate. Slopes mean views usually. From the look of it, we're pretty near you on the other side of Commercial Road :)

Most guys will give a free estimate - get one to meet you on the block to discuss options. We used G&R Retaining and they were more than helpful - Graham's the chap.

Thanks for your replies.

A lot depends on the height - 1m is the magic number. Under 1m, any tom dick or harry can "design" and install. Above 1m, you need engineering calcs and council approval... From memory, moss rock types, because they're not engineered, don't need calcs or approval (approval only if it's on a boundary)

As an example, we've got 20+m of retaining (sleepers) going from 600 to 2000m along the boundary. Plus we had moss rock retaining across the back - three courses from about 1m to 2m. Engineering was already done as part of the house calcs, but we still had council approval.

All up - around $20k.

Consider soil disposal costs too if you're cutting more than you're filling over the block...

On the plus side, the moss rocks make for a good basis on the landscaping (albeit we have "lost" some flat garden area). Also, you don't tend to get a view on a flat estate. Slopes mean views usually. From the look of it, we're pretty near you on the other side of Commercial Road :)

Most guys will give a free estimate - get one to meet you on the block to discuss options. We used G&R Retaining and they were more than helpful - Graham's the chap.

we're on the last street up from the foodland. we have thought about all the different comprimises and would like to stay this end really if we can, albeit a smaller house. If we put a hold on the land and we can get quotes then if they are happy to do that.:)

i would imagine they would quote for free?

I was at the kids soccer the other night chatting, one guys brother has just paid 75,000 for the retaining wall alone!

Extreme i know, but just shows what is possible.

bloody hell :err: where was he building on mt everest :biglaugh:

thats scaryly a lot of money. the plot in question does seem to be flattish but on a corner and have since read that the fence cant be right on the edge boundery. all these things to consider.

We're building in the Pines at Flagstaff - we have a reasonably flat plot luckily enough. The guys are laying the slab and getting ready to wall it at the mo so we're dead excited!

Settling in great - loving it and interesting comparing living here to all the times we've come here on our hols!

rich

We're building in the Pines at Flagstaff - we have a reasonably flat plot luckily enough. The guys are laying the slab and getting ready to wall it at the mo so we're dead excited!

Settling in great - loving it and interesting comparing living here to all the times we've come here on our hols!

rich

Nice to hear you are settling well. I bet it was exciting to see your slab layed. wont be long now till you start counting the weeks till you are in your own place :)

kathx