broadband help

ails

Hello. I am doing some research on what type of boadband/phone package to get when I get to Adelaide (leaving in one week!) However, i have been using youcompare.com.au to help me get an idea and am now feeling completely bamboozled.

Here I have unlimited broadband and unlimited phone - i know it is different over there and not as competitive. All I want to know is what sort of package should I get if i want the following: skype, iplayer ( i know i need to do something else for that but will sort that,) to download film clips for work (i'm a teacher) and to use the interent whenever I want. It will only be me using it. I am confused by bundles and phrases such as 20GB data allowance. I don't know what i need but i do not want to end up going over an allowance and then paying loads extra.

please help me ....:arghh:

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Hi,

I have had a nightmare getting mine up and running, phonelines etc etc . My advice would be to wait til you get here and then get someone (I now use TPG ,,,excellent) to run a line check to see if you can get ADSL/ADSL2+/naked with VOIP.

Film clips use loads of bandwidth, check what each clip is on your hard drive (a full dvd quality full length film is 4.7GB, ok quality can be had for around 1.2 GB) but if you are only doing clips then maybe 50 mb a time, depends how long they are.

Hope I have not confused you even more...P.s. I had a nightmare with Iinet, so personnaly I would avoid them.(and not recommend them to anyone ever,,%^%^(^)

Jeff

There area few BB suppliers out herem but you do have the usual suspects....they tend to be AdamInternet, Internode, and Exetel to name but a few.

I am with AdamInternet on ADSL2 i have 10G peak and 10G off leak data at speeds upto 24Mbps, at a cost of 45bux per month, if i was to go ovey my allowance i do not pay any extra i just get throttled back down to 64k woohoo....

Hope this helps somewhat....

HG

also... should i bring the modem i use at moment - on the back it says ADSL BROADBAND MODEM , MODEL NAME:smartAX MT882

ta

Not sure about mode compatibility over here, but its all going ADSL2 over here which is pretty awesome.

We didn't bring ours we bought the one off Adam.

never had a drop off just good speed pretty much all time, i can even adjust my speed so suit whatever i want to do !!!

HG

i think i am being annoying now ..... but does this include the phone line?

Adam seems to have been recommended by few people on previous posts too, so i'll look there first .. what a minefield .... its like learning a new language ....

Nah my friend.....our tinternet is on the back of a Telstra land line you can get packages....not sure if Adam do this tho...we got international deal with Telstra....but you can always skype which is free skype to skype...

HG