Eight legged beasties

Guest jen&ian

Guest jen&ian

Hi all,

This is one for all those already over there. Much as I would like to bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm never going to see any spiders I know I'm going to have to face my fear at some point. So what I need to know is whats the largest one I'm likely to have to deal with? How often am I likely to see them? (Please tell me it won't be a daily occurance). Finally is there any effective way of keeping them out of the house. All advice gratefully received.

Jen & Ian

Hi Jen and Ian,

The largest spiders I've seen around the house since arriving in Oz two years ago are Huntsman Spiders but I'm told their bite is nothing more than a wasp sting but I don't intend to get close enough to check this theory out. If I see one I get my hoover and suck the HS up through the hose, spraying them with bug spray doesn't seem to have any effect on them at all, the hoover is far more effective. We've had a few Redbacks outside and in the garage but a good dose of bug spray sorts them out.

Guest Guest75
Hi Jen and Ian,

The largest spiders I've seen around the house since arriving in Oz two years ago are Huntsman Spiders but I'm told their bite is nothing more than a wasp sting but I don't intend to get close enough to check this theory out. If I see one I get my hoover and suck the HS up through the hose, spraying them with bug spray doesn't seem to have any effect on them at all, the hoover is far more effective. We've had a few Redbacks outside and in the garage but a good dose of bug spray sorts them out.

I'll agree with BJF.

I've been here nearly seven years and have been hissed at,spat at ,jumped at and stared at by all sorts of beasties.Including spiders ,scorpions and snakes.

I'm still here :-)

Most beasties are more afraid of you than you are of them.

The beasties are a lot less common in the central suburban areas.

We live on the fringe so we are going to see more.

Our current guest in a rental we have told me they met their first Huntsman spider yesterday.They coped with it - "Welcome to Australia" I said :-)

Read some of my other post - including the Thread "White Tip"

Guest Guest75

Most beasties are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Are you sure about that :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Lisa

That's what I keep telling myself :wink:

I REFUSE to swim in the sea though.That is a terrible fear I have.

Hence the pool we have built.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Someone I know is hoping to emigrate to Perth and was told there are a lot of flys, especially the more inland you go. He says you get off the plane and someone hands you your personal fly..and it's with you for life!

Is it the same in Adelaide. Not that I'm "that" bothered..coming from the famour "midgie" land.

Regards

Carol Ann

Guest dglamoore
Hi there,

Someone I know is hoping to emigrate to Perth and was told there are a lot of flys, especially the more inland you go. He says you get off the plane and someone hands you your personal fly..and it's with you for life!

Is it the same in Adelaide. Not that I'm "that" bothered..coming from the famour "midgie" land.

Regards

Carol Ann

Have seen lots of threads about flies and mozzies in Adelaide (could be interesting as I am allergic to mozzie bites :roll: ) and the infamous aussie wave :shock:

Guess it is something else to get used to 8) OH hates flies so will be running around like a mad man with bug spray!!

Lisa

Well folks all I can say is when we visited Ayres rock (sorry cannot spell its correct name at the moment) we had to wear fly nets over our faces it was so bad :(:( It really did my head in and wow what a fashion accessory.. stunning. :oops:

Anyway I was told it only happened a couple of weeks per year and really only in land so heres hoping.

Dont know if any of our friends already in SA can let us know for sure as I am a mozzie magnet :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest simtrakyra

Yeah, we visited Uluru once too (in March) and the flies were a serious pain in the butt. So many of them and they always go for the face! :x Why these flies are so desperate to land on your nose, go up your nose or in your eyes I'll never understand. UK flies are much easier to live with.

Thankfully they aren't all year round. In all the places I've visited in Australia, Uluru had to be the worst place for them. We lived in Wynn Vale and Golden Grove in the North East and didn't really get bothered by them, but then we built our house at Walkley Heights and was bombarded with them. Perhaps thats because of the mass building that was going on in that area I don't know. Guess its hit and miss. One of them fly net hats are great for keeping them at bay, but ooohhhh ssooooo unfashionable...

Guest Guest75

I reckon that this summer has been very bad for flies here.I suppose it is because of the drought.They have been very annoying over this last few weeks.

Even though we have flyscreens on all doors and windows the little suckers get in.

A necessary accessory on you coffee table is a fly swatter.We are getting our reaction times waaaayyy down now.

Something very satisfying about swatting a fly here.It's becoming quite competitive.

:lol: :lol:

• 1 year later...
Guest Ivan Russell

Hi..second time I have entered this site so please bear (bare?) with me....I came here to Adelaide from England some 40 odd years ago and have worked outside in gardens, sheds, and garages. I have spent a short period in the bush as a professional shooter. Also, have repaired 100's of semi-trailers that have travelled Australia extensively. Along with this I have, in my younger years, hitch-hiked around Australia 3 times,,,,,,,,My point is, I have never been bitten by a spider. If you have a fear of spiders, then that's what you've got. Best deal with it as we have them ranging in size from teensy weensy money spiders to bird eaters (found only in the country). I hope this has been of help.....Feel free to ask more questions, I will try to keep the answers a little shorter.

Guest mossmac

Hi everyone,

Anyone got any pics they have taken of Australian spiders? We're really curious about Huntsman spiders as they sound enormous and really, really gross!

What do you do about young children playing in the garden with redbacks around. We have an 18 month old toddler who is extremely curious about new things .................. I suppose it gets drummed into children in Australia from a very early age not to touch certain things and they learn (hopefully!)

Sarah and John

Guest Ivan Russell

Hi,

the best way to stop kids from meeting up with redbacks in your garden is to not have places for the spiders to live in the first place......They like to live under and in between stuff, like sheets of corrugated iron, bits of wood, flower pots and under outdoor garden settings etc........

good luck......Ivan