Broadband

Guest The Guvnor

Guest The Guvnor

G'day all, just wondered what speeds of broadband are available in Adelaide and what the cost is?. Understand it all depends how far you are from the telephone exchange. Does each suburb have its own exchange or what? UK ranges from about 0.5MB upto 20MB per second (if you actually live in an exchange!) with pricing from around £10 to £25 but not sure about Adelaide.

Guest meebo

yes it depends on how rar from the exchange you are but most of the metro area can get adsl 2. i'm on 1.5meg from bigpond which cost $70 a month and you get a limit of 12gb/month. if you use more than that you dont get charged extra but the speed is slowed rght down till the begining of the next months cycle. you will find a lot of people are still using dial up (they seem a bit slow on the new technology over here and are not upto speed yet).

hope this helps

Guest dglamoore

The speed depends a lot on where you settle - some parts of Adelaide have black spots that cannot get broadband at all so have to rely on dial up still - it was one of the questions we asked when we went for rentals as I need broadband for work :)

Where we live we have the maximum speed of 512 (which is really slow after being used to 8mb cable broadband in uk :confused:) through Optus. We have an allowance of 21gb for $49 per month. There is no unlimited allowance here per month as we could get in the uk but most providers 'cap' the service so once you hit your usage allowance they slow you down but some do charge extra so something to be aware of here as your bill could go through the roof :eek:

Lots of info on suppliers here too - Whirlpool Forum

Lisa:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
My ISP is..........

http://www.tpg.com.au/

we're not in an ADSL2 area, we pay $99.95 per month for 40 gb of download.

You poor person..They are quite possibly have the worst customer support (India based), understanding and lack of empathy for the customer I have ever had the displeasure of being involved with by any company ever!

I won't go into details but for instance last year I got a phone bill for over $1500, we were moving house and needed internet access as we moved, so we phoned them up and told them this, any they gave me a number to call that I could use for the month it took them to get their fingure out and transferr the broadband over, shock horror it was a Perth based number (I live in Rockingham) so STD rates apply. They insisted it was a local number. Still was an 08 number so thought would be ok. Anyway after the bill came in I complained and they refused point blankly to admit any responsibility for giving me this number and the fact that they told me it was a local rate number. They indicated it was my problem and that is where it was left. I quote did you read the small print in your contract? Well if I phoned up how could I have had know about this?

Needless to say I had another four run ins over the next six months on various issues (which BTW was never ever their responsibility) and even when leaving they refused to surrender my phone line because although I had cancelled I had never asked for them to free my line up so no other ISP could connect. Surely when you cancel it means you don't want their service!?

Anyway be warned as it really is a z class service for the money you pay with no support!

Thanx for the warning then Tim, I'll keep an eye on things, luckily so far I've not needed to use their customer service or anything other service from them, they changed my broadband over really quickly and with no problems, so....fingers crossed, I'm one of the lucky one's, personally I think it's about time Lady Luck was on my side for a change. :D but if I find a provider who can offer me large download cheaper then I will change just to be on the safe side.

Hi Di,

I went with iinet.com.au for the same price as tpg I got 5gB download off peak and 5gB onpeak download with a superfast connection (4mB/s) compared with tpgs 512kB/s connection for the same price. Now although this is limited I find that 10gb per month is more than enough for what I do!:D

Guest dglamoore
Now although this is limited I find that 10gb per month is more than enough for what I do!

Me too most months and I work as a web designer so upload and download a lot of files and info :D Must admit I was worried when we first came over that I would go over our allowance (21gb per month) but get nowhere near it :eek: maybe I am now working hard enough ;)

Lisa:cool:

10gb? that wouldn't even handle my emails each month, lol. I use to get 15gb with AAPT but found I hit my limit half way through each month.

Actually I play on the virtual world called 'Second Life' which is why I need a large monthly download limit. If you haven't tried it yet, DON'T, it's addictive.

• 11 years later...