Videos and dvds

Guest Aussie pat

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Everyone

Like many of you we have some videos and dvds bought/made in the UK which are of sentimental value and which we would like to continue viewing occasionally. We now need to buy a new video player and dvd player. In the stores they told us that all video players will play videos from anywhere - so no problem there apparently - and that Panasonic dvd players are region free and will play both UK and Australian dvds. Can anyone confirm this or give us any advice before we take the plunge and come home with the wrong option. Help appreciated.

Guest Rob and Clare

I cannot be certain as I'm not expert on this, hopefully others are, but I understand most DVD players can be unlocked to be region free, do a google search on your DVD player to see... Our UK player was a sony player and apparently more difficult to unlock.

So we bought a panasonic DVD player for the same reason and have not had a problem, plays UK and Aussie DVD's.

Good Luck

Guest the4hopes

We have a Pioneer player it is multi region, I was told in JB hi fi these were the best for multi region, because it will not say it on any boxes its pot luck if they play!! I asked in Big W and they did not know but said to take a dvd in and they would try it on any player to check.

Laura

Generally, DVD players have the ability to read DVDs from any region, but are usually locked into the region associated with where they're being sold. Unlocking them is usally as simple as hitting a sequence of keystrokes on the remote or player, but can sometimes be more complex than that. Find a player with all the features you're looking for, jot down the make and model, google it to see how to unlock it (searching for the make and model along with 'region free' or 'unlocking' is likely to suffice, but there are some sites with long lists of players should you get stuck), if the process for unlocking looks fairly straightforward and there are no negative comments, you should be fine.