Mosquito Repellant

NickBrigham

The good news is that summer seems to be here ... well, almost! I can tell that by the mosquito bites I picked up in bed last night. I now look like the elephant man.

There are threads on here that talk about creams and such, and also repellant that you put on your body. Does anyone have a recommendation for a spray or repellant dispenser that you can set off in the house, maybe on a timer. We stayed once in Brazil and they had a thing you plugged into the wall with a perfume or something in it. Can anyone who has been here through a summer recommend anything?

Nick

The good news is that summer seems to be here ... well, almost! I can tell that by the mosquito bites I picked up in bed last night. I now look like the elephant man.

There are threads on here that talk about creams and such, and also repellant that you put on your body. Does anyone have a recommendation for a spray or repellant dispenser that you can set off in the house, maybe on a timer. We stayed once in Brazil and they had a thing you plugged into the wall with a perfume or something in it. Can anyone who has been here through a summer recommend anything?

Nick

Hi Nick,

We have a friend who got bitten quite badly (her bites were the size of tennis balls and that's no exaggeration) that she was hospitalised. The doctors there said that the best thing that she could do was to take Vitamin B tablets. She's taken them ever since and never ever been bitten.

Worth a try!

Anne.

Guest Here at last!

I'm going to stock up on vitamin b today to give it a try. We were out in the garden on Tuesday and my eldest son has approx 10 bites on his arms.

I had a plug in that we used to take on holiday with us but that was from Boots.

Also, does anyone use one of thses diffuser things in the house that they can recommend?

N

We have one but have never used it as we've always been fortunate enought to have insect screens on windows and doors. However, this summer, we'll definitely put it to use as we have moved into a new apartment that doesn't have any insect screens.

I think he bought it from either coles or woolworths.

Oooohhh nooo. I really didn't want this thread to go this way. I think the mozzies, so far, are no worse than the UK. I think they will get worse during the summer though. If it helps, no-one else in the house has been bitten so far. I was the one in Venice who got 33 in one night ... just on my arms. Naturally attractive (but only to mozzies sadly).

Most houses have screens and it is just a case of disciplining yourself into using them. In the same way, you need to stop and think before putting you hand into anywhere dark outisde ... to turn the gas on the BBQ for instance. In the UK you don't get a warning to watch out for spiders on the BBQ instructions from B&Q do you??

N

HI

Is the mosquito problem all over Adelaide. Got my wife worried now as Nik gets bit all the time and then the bites swell up.

I heard Marmite may help (Eaten not spread!!!!!!!!!!!!!):biglaugh:

Jim&nik

Just make sure you spray yourselves with aeroguard before you go out and you'll be fine.