Mobiles in Oz..Ahhh!!

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Please can anyone help, :confused:

Am trying to find out about mobile phones. I was under the impression that if i had a mobile phone with Skype on it and family and friends over in the UK did, calls would be free. How wrong could i be. I have been told please correct me if i'm wrong if you have internet connection they give you so many dollars worth of calls which is capped. To use Skype on your mobile you have to connect to the Internet so when you phone home mobile to mobile the minutes/dollars are deducted. So Skype is not actually free!

So my question is... i will eventually get round to it, in the UK we have for example Web and Walk etc which is for you lot who have been in Oz for ages,ha! when you connect to the internet you can pay £7 a month or something along them lines. Is there anything in Oz where you can get unlimited internet access packages to your mobile so you can access Skype and make your calls for free.

Nearly finished- hope you've not gone to sleep:SLEEP:what packages do people have so that they can phone mobiles as will prob be using a mobile more so than a landline, and i have been told that some are better than others due to the signal etc. Sorry to go on so confused:arghh:. Don't want to tell all my family to get mobiles with Skype if it's not free or best package. Thanks for any advice.

Jo and Tom x

Guest MarkIngram

if you've got an internet connection and a computer/laptop with webcam and so do friends/family then you can communicate that way for free.....Not in Adelaide yet...but I have friends all over the world and am have been using skype in this way to keep in touch with them.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks for that and i realise you can keep in touch with webcams etc and on your laptop. However i am never in at home so am on my mobile quite a lot. So am really looking for a package for my mobile. Skype at home will be great when i get the time to use it as all my mates and family work shifts so finding times for us both to be available to talk on webcam etc especially with the time diffrence might be quite difficult.

Thanks anyway Jo and Tom x:)

My other half has a 'skype' mobile phone on the 3 network here....and as long as signed into skype on the phone....using the same username and passwords you......you get the same online/offline list of contacts. You can ring them competely free as you would your normal computer skype. You cannot however dial different landline/mobile numbers direct as you normally can from skype.

My other half has never been charged for using skype over here.

Hope that clears a bit up

Dan

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks for that Dan,

So i presume you have an unlimited internet access? If you don't mind me asking how much do you pay for your package and what does it consist of? That's great then so if family and my mates get phones with Skype on have you found that to be the best one and a good package? Signal wise etc? Does your wife get so many calls a month free or is it anytime, any day etc. Sorry for all the questions just handy to know before we come out.

Cheers for any info:)

Jo and Tom x

Hi there, I'm with three mobile and for $5 a month I get 100 minutes of international calls to landlines and 4000 minutes of Skype. Do not have internet access but another package I was offered was a small amount (I think 20MB) of internet access instead of the international calls. Hope this helps. Vicky

Guest Kazzarazza
if you've got an internet connection and a computer/laptop with webcam and so do friends/family then you can communicate that way for free.....Not in Adelaide yet...but I have friends all over the world and am have been using skype in this way to keep in touch with them.

Do you mean you're not in Adelaide yet - or Skype is not in Adelaide yet??, lol.:unsure:

We have been using Skype for over 5 years, before that Paltalk (2 yrs) and before that Fire Talk (3 yrs) - all free for computer to computer, or a small charge if you want to "buy time" to ring landlines. Also, "3" mobile have one of the best packages available for using Skype.

Cheersm, Kazza

Its is simply a mobile phone with skype on it....we pay no extra to use the skype or to access from the mobile phone. My wife it Pay as you go....if she put 30 bucks on every 90 days or so she gets 4000 minutes.

If you mean home internet to use skype on a computer i am on an 80gig package from Adam Internet.

Dan

Guest graandjac

;)Skype to skype on a computer is free anywhere, we use skype to land lines in the yuk at a mimimal cost something like 0.02cents per min..!. As for the mobile thing we never use the mobiles to call the uk, as more often than not the times are all wrong, and the time to call the uk (in the evenings here), your at home anyway so you might aswell use skype for free.

Out of intrerest how many people use their mobiles to call the uk...??

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks guys for all your replies. Will get in touch Kerry thanks, thanks for giving an idea of costs handy to know. I know a mobile would be useful though for me personally i know my friend several times has wanted to call me she is in Oz. I have been at work and when i have finished she is in bed, very difficult when you work shifts. I will also be working shifts over there and most of my friends and family work shifts so will def be better of with a mobile.

Thanks again for the info :)

Jo and Tom x