untreated furniture???

Guest clairw75

Guest clairw75

Hey everyone :)

We ( well I really ) have this handmade teak garden set that I have left untreated coz i like the colours of the untreated wood - turned a lovely silvery colour rather than the dark mahogany teak goes even with a clear varnish.

Upshot of this is that I have read some horror stories of people being charged extortionate amounts of money for their furniture to be treated or destroyed from customs.

This furniture has never come into contact with any dirt or mud - my "garden" is decked and gravelled - i cant even grow things in pots lol- and it was assembled on the decking.

I love this set we have only had it a year and it cost nearly £1000 as it is handmade with no metal parts.

Can i export it or not is what i'm trying to get at??

Any info will be greatly appreciated :)

Clair

Guest PompeyPom

Oz customs will defo burn it from the advice we have had from our shipping people today.We were told that even indoor furniture that hasnt been treated is a no no,sorry to be the bringer of bad news but seek advice from your shipping people when the time comes.

All the best Scott n gang

Guest mandmick

Our shipment has just arrived in Adelaide, and has been cleared I think!

We are moving from Dubai and have loads of wooden furniture..

I didn't see anywhere on the forms about saying it was untreated..?

The guy who stained ours said he could give me a note saying it had been fumigated but it wasn't worth it as they are so strict in OZ, they would check it anyway!

I'll let you know once I've heard about our container being opened or not!

I really hope it's not all burnt! it's 15 years worth of furniture!!

Guest ReadyPenny

We used John Mason of Liverpool and they advised us to treat everything. They wouldnt even pack a wooden spoon!!! We had to varnish all of Amber's wooden toy boxes, as they were raw and untreated.

Personally, I wouldnt take the chance, suppose it depends on who you get on the day.

Good luck

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kangomik

that pine stuff would have been treated surely? and then waxed and possibly varnished.

If you have completely untreated wood, then you better hope for a dumpling of a container inspector if you want it in with Zero cost.

For everything that gets in A OK, you can bet it's yours that will get pulled, specially if its a different colour to Treated (sealed) varnished wood,

Guest rachinadelaide

My husband (the nerd) had his toy cars and trains very carefully packed in fruit boxes in the UK. The shippers left them as they were to send them over here and AQUIS spotted the boxes and took everything out of the boxes and threw it all into one big box resulting in lots of broken toys and a very upset husband!!

I've just looked at their website and there is some info on bringing in wooden furniture:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/timber/furniture-items

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

I think I would get a friend (protect your identity) to email them and ask the 'what if' question to be on the safe side.....!

Rach

Guest clairw75

Thanks so much guys for all your replies I think I am destined to leave it and then maybe buy something native lol :)

You never know I may be able to sell it with the house! ;)

gutted lol oh well there is more to life than furniture :wubclub:

Thanks once again :)

Clair

Guest thekings

What about other wooden products such as photo frames, tables and chairs, even our leather sofas have wooden parts inside them. Our removal company hasn't said a word (anglo pacific) I even have a cheap non original non native didgeridoo made from bamboo and the removal guy asked why I wasn't taking it??? I'm wondering whether I should choose a different company now...I havn't signed anything yet or parted with money .....

Guest ben&sharon
What about other wooden products such as photo frames, tables and chairs, even our leather sofas have wooden parts inside them. Our removal company hasn't said a word (anglo pacific) I even have a cheap non original non native didgeridoo made from bamboo and the removal guy asked why I wasn't taking it??? I'm wondering whether I should choose a different company now...I havn't signed anything yet or parted with money .....

Hiya,

Just to let you know that we've just had our shipment cleared today with no problems, and we had all of the sorts of things that you are referring to. I think we went a bit overboard on the declarations to be honest, on the basis that we'd rather own up to it than be 'caught out', but nothing at all has caused us a problem. Quite a relief!

Obviously there are no guarantees, but I can't imagine any of the things that you mention being a problem....

Good luck with the move,

Sharon.