Kitchen Stuff/Toilettries

Maggiemoo

Hi There,

On someone's advise I have been stocking up on toothpaste, shower gels, deodorants etc, also cleaning stuff for the kitchen washing powder etc as was told it is all really expensive there. We are hoping to ship them in our container.

I have just read somewhere that we are not allowed to bring these items with us. Does anyone know if this is true? I will be mightilly peed off if we can't bring them. Have been hunting for all the bargains BOGOF etc for ages and have done really well :huh:.

Many thanks for your advice.

Margaret

Working for Sainsbury's in the UK, we had a whole suitcase full of these things that I had got over the months of BOGOF, and are still using them 10 months on, and didn't have a problem.

Guest back clan

We haven't found the prices more expensive here but we are not doing the supermarket shops. We find shopping at individual shops is cheaper ie buying meat from butchers and veg from veg shops etc.Toiletries are cheaper in the chemists in the malls. We are also eating a lot more fresh stuff and have both lost weight!!!!

Long may it continue!!

Guest kangomik

Thats it, i need to be buying toiletries from the malls in order to loose weight:confused:.

I eat loads of fresh stuff, and then loads more and cannot lose weight, so it can't be that:arghh:.:biglaugh:

On a serious note, the shopping around tip is a good one, and i don't find things like that too expensive. As one person pointed out, sooner or later you will have to buy the stuff and get used to it.

Now if you had stocked up on Chocolate then i could understand the cost savings there!!!!!:v_SPIN:

Guest Amelia&Fred

when we first arrived here it was really confusing as the prices of different products ranged so drastically from one shop to the next.... i wouldn't bother sending products over though, the Discount chemist under David Jones on Rundle Mall is cheaper than most... $2/3 for toothpaste, $3 for deoderant from cheap as chips... shampoo etc.. $3

once you get paid in dollars the cost is not really any different from the uk... although i haven't been there for ages so can't really comment!!

I would stock pile clothes though... i am gutted i got rid of all mine to start again here... that's the only thing the uk does better in my opinion!

amelia and fred

www.inner-funk.com.au

Having just returned from the UK, I can say that Australians are paying three times more than the UK for toiletries plus other stuff too.

For example, my GHD Hair Straightening Protection Spray is only 10.00 pounds but here in Oz its $30.00, also the new Body Shop White Musk Iris Body Spray is 7.95 pounds but here in Oz its $24.95. I stocked up on my Max Factor make up too where I pay $36.95 here, it was 7.00 pounds in UK!

Just some examples there.

Guest SA Great
Having just returned from the UK, I can say that Australians are paying three times more than the UK for toiletries plus other stuff too.

For example, my GHD Hair Straightening Protection Spray is only 10.00 pounds but here in Oz its $30.00,

Since when has $30 been 3 times more than 10 pounds? 10 pounds is $20 therefore $30 is 50% dearer.

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi

If you get it cheap enough and got room in your containter bring it. I find toiletries more expensive here....deo I bought in UK £1.50 here $5, shaving foam etc more expensive here. As I said, if you've got room bring it (don't get the BOGOFs here like you did in Tesco/Asda etc).

Guest kangomik
Since when has $30 been 3 times more than 10 pounds? 10 pounds is $20 therefore $30 is 50% dearer.

It all depends when you arrive mate. I work with guys who still convert at 2.75. They think things are cheap in some cases, i convert at 2.00, and think some things cost more than UK.:idea:

Basically it comes down to living the dollar, but i think we all convert back to pounds when looking at things, just the rate changes.

With this in mind, are people on more money now (PAY) than those of say 5 years ago.;)

Tourist rate = 1.75

Bank rate = 1.83:arghh:

At the mo

Guest rachinadelaide

I find the cheapest way to do it is to ask friends and parents to send stuff out - it's free!!

Although, I stopped asking after my mum sent me a can of Frizzease hairspray and it was confiscated and sent to SAPOL and I got a loooong letter explaining the length of jail sentence I could expect for importing dangerous goods....

It was a scary letter!! I phoned my mum and told her to say it was all her fault if she was questioned...That's what mums are for isn't it?!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I havent been back from the UK all that long either and toiletries are far more expensive here well over twice the price. Sensodyn toothpaste isfar too expensive the cheapest i get is $5, it is made here in australia and still more expensive than its UK equivilant!

Will disagree on the clothes front, they are no worse here than there and the sameish price.

Thanks for all the replies. We are coming in November so are gutted about the exchange rate at the moment. Luckily we were due to come in June so managed to change some money up when it was 2.20 (wish we had done more now but hey ho!). I am sure I read somewhere that we can't bring bleach. does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks, Margaret

Thanks for all the replies. We are coming in November so are gutted about the exchange rate at the moment. Luckily we were due to come in June so managed to change some money up when it was 2.20 (wish we had done more now but hey ho!). I am sure I read somewhere that we can't bring bleach. does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks, Margaret

We were told don't pack toiletries/chemicals/cleaning fluids etc if they have a 'hazardous' or 'flammable' warning on the back, which makes sense.