laptop wont boot up

ladycasper

Guest bennyboyuk
Sounds like my laptop needs medicare !!

got inot Phoenix BIOS set up utility and did ther hard drive slef test

status hash 10009 replace hard disk...came up

what do it do now??

HELP

Hey there, had a systems engineering business in the UK - certainly sounds like one of the boot blocks has died - may be able to repartition the drive, or would be a new hard drive as I think you will have problems repartitioning the boot sector. Either way I am sure Justin will get you sorted!!!

Ben

What make of Laptop is it? You may find it can be fixed easily. Don't despair yet.

Its a HP Pavillion windows vista 6500

i got into phoenix BIOS set up utility and status said hash 10009 replace hard disk !!

i dont have an installtion disk, none cam with it but I did a recovery disk which I backup in June this year.

Bouhgt laptop 14 months ago

However, if i put it in nothing starts !!

Lyn

The important thing is to remember, if you do need to replace the disc, you will be able to get one for free, hard discs have a life time warranty (usually).

A lot depends on how important any data is as well. If you have datw that is important to you, I would take the disk out and use it as a secondary disk, there are many tools within windows that can most likely fix it. You will need a master disc working to get into windows of course.

And if anyone says you cant use a laptop drive as a secondary drive, you can, you need an external case for small drives.

From the quick search I've just done, seems to be a problem with the HP's and the phoenix BIOS

I took to it the reapirer and it seems it is not the hard disc cos he tried one whilst I was there. Not heard from him yet since thursday night. He was worried it was the mother board..

Actually may phone him now

yeah, watch out, just because he put another hard drive in your machine and it not fire straight up, does not mean it's your laptop at fault

My latop is ready.

It needed a new disc which hsa been tried in another latop.

ALso there was some things come loose inside and it had a bashing.

Vista is back on it and he has downloaded what he could from the HP website.

I have word for professionals at home so thats ok and I will have to download itunes again.

The recovery discs I had made myself when I got my latop cant be read.

I have lost my photos...I was using windows live photo thinghy so might be able to get them some how maybe.

Please tell me what the the best way to back up the whole dame computer so that I dont loose anything again..

Thanks for picking your brains etc.

It set me back $ 200

Lynne

The important thing is to remember, if you do need to replace the disc, you will be able to get one for free, hard discs have a life time warranty (usually)

Not even close I'm afraid. If you buy a hard drive from a retailer (boxed or not) you'll be lucky to get 5 years (Seagate) but most only have 3 years. As this was a disc in a laptop the warranty is provided direct from the manufacturer of the laptop and would not be extended past the warranty of that item, in this case 12 months.

Please tell me what the the best way to back up the whole dame computer so that I dont loose anything again...

Get yourself an external drive of some sort and use the backup software in Vista - it's not fantastic but good enough to backup your personal data. If the repairer has done his job properly (for $200 I'd hope so), you should also have your recovery partition back again so you can recreate some recovery disks (not just backup disks), which means you can fix the problem yourself next time.

Justin.

I am more than close, but I am not here to argue. Maybe my 20 years in the industry counts for nothing.

I am pleased to say in all the PC's I have fixed, upgraded I have never lost any data.

As for backing up, no right or wrong answer.

I use an extrenal drive, but as that is just another hard disc that can also get stolen or fail.

I would save onto the pc/laptop/mac, backup (copy) onto an external drive AND use an online storage system.

I really think you have been ripped off with regard the $200.

Many questions need answering

1. Have you got your old disc back?

2. Did he tell you what he tried to confirm the disc failed?

3. How did he put Vista on? Did you give him the license you already had? Were you given the option of Windows 7 instead?

4. It's a laptop, and you are fobbed off with 'some things come loose'..mmmmm

Most so called PC engineers are in fact just people who think they know what they are doing. I got out the profession, but still dabble, and thats why people come back to me even now. I wouldnt trust 99% of people who advertsie themselves as IT professionals, but again, that's just me. Word of mouth is the best way of finding someone.

Anyhow, if you are happy that's all that matters. I wouldn't be though. But then again I wouldnt spend any money getting a PC repaired.

Justin

I hope you and others (who have something in their sig), didn't think I was saying you were amongst those who can't be trusted. I have no knowledge of any of your skills!

As for the drives, a tip, always TALK to someone in the US.

Cheers

No worries :)

Thanks for the tip - will give that a whirl next time a drive dies, as they do...

J.