Medicines, lotions, creams and alike

Guest markbevjake

Guest markbevjake

Hi all

First question of what I feel will be many.

We are frantically putting things in boxes at present :arghh: with a shipping date some time in January fast approaching.

Does anyone know what customs are like with reference to medicines, creams and lotions as our little fella aged 4 suffers with Eczema (found out about Adelaide being the Eczema capital of Aus only after applying for visa :shocked:)

We are collecting a nice stock pile on the good old NHS at present (making the most of it as we are on 475 prov visas) so all items will be unopened still in packaging.

Also the wife will probably want to bring some of the non-allegic type washing powder and conditioner that she currently uses as well. Anyone any clues how this will be viewed.

I was going to ask about my fine selection of vintage old ales, but I know the answer to that already so I'll just have to drink them before I come.

Any help appreciated and any other guidance of things we should definately bring welcome.

Thanks

Guest guest3462

we brought loads with us in our container and no-one said anything. E-45 isn't available here so if you use that stockpile now! Also things like childrens paracetamol is really expensive here so i'd bring that as well. I filled a box full of lotions and potions and still wish we had brought more. Also things like shampoo and shower gels can be really dear here so chuck a few of them in too! We are going back to UK in June to arrange our final shipping (we only came on a temp visa so didn't bring anything, but we have decided to stay!!) and no doubt i'll be filling a few boxes with goodies to dish out when we get back! I really miss my shampoo (Aussie mate) that is impossible to get hold of here.......isn't that sad.

But hey, if thats all I miss, apart from the friends and family of course then it cant be all that bad!

Good luck with the shopping and shipping and see you on the sunny side soon! x

if i were you i would put medication in your bags ,but the chemists here have a wide range of creams for skin problems they are really helpful but a bit pricey as for wash powder/fabric conditioner the supermarkets sell stuff for sensitive skin as my family all allergic to perfume stuff, i use wash liquid called "OMO" which is for sensitive skin $5.98 its persil really,and "FLUFFY" conditioner for sensitive skin,you will probably need softner as water here really hard on your clothes,most stuff concentrated so for less than $10 you can get both,loads of stuff here same as uk just different name sorry to waffle i hope this helps a little.

Guest WoodMartin

Hi there

I've just dragged out the forms we had to fill in to go with our boxes we shipped:

Re: Medication: On the Australian Customs Service form there is a question as to whether there are any "Drugs of any kind including, but not limited to ... narcotics ... hallucinogens ... steroids... performance enhancing drugs..." If you tick yes then you need to list them.

Definitely ask your shippers as they should know more precisely if they will be either allowed in no problem, or not allowed at all.

HTH

Ali

Guest WoodMartin

I really miss my shampoo (Aussie mate) that is impossible to get hold of here.......isn't that sad.

Agreed! Might email them and ask if they're planning to sell over here...

Ali

My son in law and grandson use the QV range of products, (which orignated in Adelaide, formulated by the old Queen Victoria Hospital) with great success for their eczema.

You do need to declare all medications, but I am sure there won't be a problem with unopened products.

On the other hand, DHL refused to accept a package for overseas posting as I had included some baby cream. They returned it to my local PO and I had to take it out and repost.

We brought all my daughter's creams in the suitcase and just small tubes in my hand luggage.

Since we have been here (3 months) she hasn't suffered from eczema once! She had it really bad in the UK. We haven't done anything differently and we havent had to use any of her creams - amazing

I would stock pile on things like piriton - cost a bomb here

oh yeah and bring LOADS OF SUNCREAM its mega money here and you go through gallons of it !!

i think its really cheap here if you buy the australain brands coles and woolies cell huge tubs of it for around $15!! As with most things its all relative, you just get used to buying the aus equivalent as it will all run out eventually anyway:)

Guest WoodMartin

Ref Aussie Mate shampoo not being available in Oz...

Agreed! Might email them and ask if they're planning to sell over here...

Ali

Blimey Proctor and Gamble are up early in the morning... I've had a reply already - sorry, no joy. No plans but my interest has been noted.

Sorry to hijack the original thread btw.

Ali

Guest markbevjake

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Can't use suitcases as not got migrant luggage allowance due to a stop over so looks like speaking to shipping company and listing all un-opened medication.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Until the next installment..........Cheers:)

Mark Bev & Jake

Hi

Stock pile on any thing you can ,but i would ask the shipping company as others have said,but if its a medical condition get a letter from your doctor as well stating you need it etc.

all the best Helen