Techy Questions

tommo64

We have a few questions of a technical nature which hopefully someone out there can answer for uswink.gif

Mobile phones: we plan to bring our unlocked mobiles out with us and buy new PAYG sim cards. Can anyone suggest which network provider to go with and where is the best place to obtain them?

Land line phones: We have DECT cordless phones. Will these be compatible with the Australian phone systems and are the phone sockets the same as in the UK?

Wireless Router: same as above really, regards telephone socket, etc.

Satellite dish: We have a Sky satellite dish on the side of the house which hasn't been used for some time but we were wondering whether it could be used over there with the right set-top box. I know there are cable networks throughout Australia but not sure about satellite TV.

It's just a question of trying to decide what to bring and what not to. No point in shipping stuff over if it won't work. would be grateful for any advice from those in the knownotworthy.gif

Many thanks.

Hi, I can help you with the first question. On our recce in April we brough vodaphone aus pay as you go sims registered them to a hotel and they worked fine in our UK phones. I think they have to be duel band though.

Also another tip. I brought a AUs map chip for my UK tom tom of ebay for £35 and this also worked fine in Aus and saved me a fortune boging a new sat nav.

Hope this helps.

Thanks thebacons,

I think most of our phones are dual or tri band so should be ok. They seemed to work with our own sim cards so hopefully will work with the Aussie ones.

We did our recce last April too and used our TomTom with an Australia map so I know at least one thing will work!

All the best,

Hi

Sorry to jump in on with another question.

We have just bought each other new mobs for xmas as one was business and one to go back to company.

Not got them unlocked yet as some people have said you can do it online. So I take it, just an aussie sim card with a new mob number (sorry being a bit dense now).:goofy:

Thanks

Niki

Guest Lozmitch

Hi, dont worry about the sky dish.... Leave it on the wall, if you still have the sky box give it away to family or friends as a spare. If its a Sky plus box you may get some money on ebay for it. The set top boxes wont work here.

Foxtel is the equivalent to Sky, depending on where you live in Adelaide you will get it through cable or satellite.

As for the dect phones, the actual wall connectors are different, but you can buy new modem leads. Wouldnt like to say for sure if this will make it work though.

Hope this helps,

Matt:D

Hi

Sorry to jump in on with another question.

We have just bought each other new mobs for xmas as one was business and one to go back to company.

Not got them unlocked yet as some people have said you can do it online. So I take it, just an aussie sim card with a new mob number (sorry being a bit dense now).:goofy:

Thanks

Niki

Swindon has a great road system aint it !!!:D

We used to live in Cheltenham just down the road....I would just get em unlocked in uk that way should you have any hassle you can easily get it sorted...:)

HG

Guest kangomik

i think the phones are a different voltage over here, the Telstra man did tell me and i nearly fell over at how high the voltage is.

The phones will work, yes you will get an aussie number.

Leave the rest of the junk at home.

Guest Murphysegg

If you intend to use PAYG then check out SavvyTel on the web, as the majority of PAYG expire after 1 month wether youv'e used your credit or not. Savvytel just roll your credit over & over. Great if your not a high level mobile phone user. Plus the rates are very good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lozmitch
From memory DECT phones don't work, but bring your skybox, plug it in to an Aussie Dish and watch SKY TV.....

Would be interested to see that working!! Different satellite for starters.... Would be nice though. Trust me, leave the sky box in the UK.;)