Top tips for those without air conditioning.

sueoc

Hiya,

What interesting and simple tips have you heard from Aussies to keep cool at home during these heatwaves.Best i heard was to just soak a towel in water and kip with the fan blowing on you !We are renting,and some of these Landlords here are having a laugh asking what they do for rentals,expecting us to sweat our bottox off,whilst paying through the nose:arghh:

The first thing I learnt was to close the house up first thing in the morning, doors and windows, blinds and curtains, and open it right up in the evening, which included leaving the doors open (locked screens) all night. And close the inside rooms to insulate the cool. It seemed very strange and unsafe at first.

When the children were smaller, we also used the damp towel cooler, hanging damp towels at the open windows, as well as on fans.

We close our house up during the day and open it up at night. It was still hot inside today (got up to 35 eventually) but it was 41 outside, so it does make a difference. We keep all the shades closed during the day of course, too. Cold showers (don't dry off, for the evaporative effect) to keep your body temps down, and/or before bed, help too. Fans and wet towels help too.

I just spent about 1/2 an hour researching evap cooling though. Hubs has managed in this house over a decade w/o a/c but this 2nd summer is enough for me. I spent a few hours at Tea Tree Plaza cooling off today.

Only 2 more days and let's hope we don't get a miserable 2 week session like last year!!

Top tip for those without an air con is 'get one!':arghh:

Reverse cycle refrigerated is best because evaporative systems tend to make the house too muggy.

If that's not an option then get a portable a/c, take it with you when you leave the rental accommodation. Here's a good option that's fairly cheap, just shove it in a window, Good Guys Window A/C

Guest Richard&Judy
Can anyone give us a bit of advice... we are renting a property with Evaporative Air conditioning. Is it right that we shouldl have the doors open when running it? Sorry still pretty new to all this!

Thanks

Julie, Richard, Ellie-May (9) & Charlie (7)

Yes that is right, one window or a door open will be fine.

If you have the evap system on for more than 4 or 5 hours things do tend to start feeling damp but that's the only down side to the evap system apart from that it is brill at cooling the house down quick and keeping it that way.

Reverse cycle is the complete opposite, everything has to be shut up like a tomb for it to be at its most effective.