My OH a chippie and we have had the dilema of 110V tools. We have emailed many people and had varying comments. Have contacted BSA and here was the response we got.

Thank you for your recent email enquiry.

With regards to your 110V Power tools, we advise you contact the Electrical Safety Office on 1300 362 320 or www.eso.qld.gov.au.

However, if you want to work as a carpenter in Queensland and perform work over $1100.00 (this amount is inclusive of materials, labour and GST), you need to hold a BSA licence. Please follow this link for more information on the requirements to be eligible for a carpenter's licence:

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/BuildersContractors/LicensingInformation/NewClasses/CP.htm. and for an application form:


Please feel free to contact our Customer Contact Centre on 1300 272 272 (Mon-Fri 7am-5pm), if you have any questions.

Kind Regards
ABN 52 293 849 579
Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline
Freecall: 1800 177 717 Phone: 07-32474711
Website: www.deir.qld.gov.au

Our Reference: 12042 RC

Dear Mr Mason ,

Thank you for your email regarding overseas power tools. If you are using these in a workplace and they are for personal use only there is no certification required. You are however required to ensure they are safe for use. Queensland uses a three flat pin power plug so you may need to a use an adapter for an overseas tool's pin arrangement. Also we have 240 V AC power supply so you may also need to use your tools in conjuction with a transformer if they are rated for 110 V .

For further information, please contact Infoline on 1300 369 915, or 1800 177 717

Yours faithfully

Information Services Officer
WHSQ Infoline
Information Registration and Licensing
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

Customer Service Officer
Queensland Building Services Authority
PMB 84
Coorparoo DC QLD 4151
Ph: 1300 272 272
Fax: 3225 2999

Hope this helps a bit.