Unblocking iphone in Adelaide

Boxertony

I set off tomorrow (Monday 8th Feb) to Adelaide. One problem though my iphone 3g has been in the mobile phone shop for the past four days trying to get it unblocked so I can use it in Adelaide. After four days it returned still blocked and all my photo's, contacts, bloody everything. Gutted that I have lost all my contacts as I cannot now keep in touch with certain people.

Anyway is there any shop in Adelaide where I could get my iphone 3g unblocked so I can then use it. Lucky eneough the rest of the family memebersw have all their phones unblocked but mine. Looks like I may have to purchased one on my arrival.

Where is the best place to go to get good sim card packages and also the mobile phone itself. We get the meet and greet service so hopefully the representative could take me there.

Aaahhh the continuing mobile phone saga... Unfortunately, we haven't found anywhere to unlock phones here. UK phones have to be unlocked in UK or through codes you get online. The mobile issue is quite confusing here. Lots of people use prepaid (pay as you go) and buy the handset but these are tied in to a particular company. If you are unsure, I'd recommend buying an unlocked headset and then buying a sim card from any provider (virgin, telstra, optus, vodaphone) for the short term. We bough our sim for 2$. Payment plans are more confusing here and you get locked into quite a long contract. My sister in law just got her blackberry for free on a $29/month contract but is tied in for 24 months. We may go with virign soon because they have free texts to other virgin users. You really have to spend some quality time in a phone shop. Best place is either Dick Smith (electronics store) or an allphones shop in any shopping centre. Good luck but you'll want to do some research before you make a decision as you can get packages that include home phone, wireless, etc.

Good luck and happy flying.

The only sure way to get it done is via your current (UK) carrier. The iphone is a very tricky beast, more so than most others; is there any reason you cannot get it done before leaving?

You may just have to swallow the cost I'm afraid or sell it to a friend; make sure you sync it with itunes then all your photos, contacts etc. will be safe on your pc/laptop so you can simply move it all to an aus iphone; you may need to tell it where to keep contacts, if you've note already done so - outlook or Yahoo are popular choices. Do a restore on the iphone and it's safe to get rid of.

My wife has a 16GB S from virgin - $50/month for $150 credit and 300MB of data and that includes the cost of the phone...not too bad.

J.

Guest Kelly O

Hi Tony and Family

Can't help with the phone at all I'm afraid. Best wishes for a safe and comfortable journey. I remember after all the lead up to emigrating the plane journey was an absolute pleasure. It was just pure bliss- we remembered certain things we hadn't done but by then it was too late!! We came out here 10 months tomorrow.

There is a PIA meet up at Morialta on 21 st Feb so you should have all got over the jetlag by then so perhaps see you there! Morialta is lovely- you will see a koala or echidnas there as well as a bunch of POMs and stunning scenery!

Kelly, Martin, Sam and Joe