Heating/ventilation systems

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

Hi guys, can you give us the low down on the different heating systems in typical Adelaide houses and air conditioning. What ones are best, cost effectiveness, and if you buy a property with a system you don't like is it easy and cost effective to replace?

Hi there

We have ducted reverse cycle in our house - so the whole house can be heated or cooled. Its powered by electric so on the down side its not the cheapest thing to run. We have wood burner fitted in our house and we use that in the evenings as it kicks out a fair amount of heat and financially is definately cheaper but I do put the R/C on when I get up on a chilly morning as its fairly instant heat. We have atemperature panel and can set the heat/cool to maintain a constant once it reaches a certain level. The other types of aircon that I am aware of are evaporative and split system - the first rental we lived in had a split system - was just in the living room and worked marvelously when you stood up ie the top of your head as it sat on the wall about 30cm below the coving - it only cooled the room where the system was - it did heat in the winter but again it was expensive the run and really only serviced the room that the system was in. Its definately worthwhile getting some sort of heating here as winters are bitterly cold. I know that the temperatures dont fall that low but the lack of carpets, insulation, double glazing and central heating make the houses very cool - Ive certainly seen frost a few times.

I think that our R/C cost about ??$8k to fit but I would budget around $10k. Evaporative is certainly cheaper (sorry cant tell you how much). You would then have to budget in heating costs - think that bothe central heating is starting to make an appearance here as is underfloor heating but there is also ducted gas heating too. Our wood burner was $3k.

Hope that helps

Lindsey

Please bear in mind if I have made any gaffs I am a midwife so the pipes that I deal with are different ones the heating/cooling variety!

We have a combustion heater, which means you have to have firewood. It works well, and is very very cheap to run. It depends on what your needs are. We are also about to get evaporative cooling, which again is almost no cost to run, and cheaper to install.

Guest kangomik

Evap uses water to cool it, and can use quite a lot if on high and running time is long, this could have an effect on the water bill, but is cheap to run elec wise.

The only other one that hasn't been mentioned is refrigerated air con, this will get your house cold, but does come at a price, and you cannot run them too long as they have a tendancy to over heat and even set on fire.

We have evap, i catch the water for the garden, it's just weird opening some windows to cool the house down! It works well.

I do fancy the idea of a log burner though.

We had R/C in the old rental and it was good, mainly because it warms the house very quickly and you could set it on timers etc so it was great in winter.

Don't forget ceiling fans, they can work really well, and also location of the house, some are a lot cooler than others.

Evap uses water to cool it, and can use quite a lot if on high and running time is long, this could have an effect on the water bill, but is cheap to run elec wise.

The only other one that hasn't been mentioned is refrigerated air con, this will get your house cold, but does come at a price, and you cannot run them too long as they have a tendancy to over heat and even set on fire.

We have evap, i catch the water for the garden, it's just weird opening some windows to cool the house down! It works well.

I do fancy the idea of a log burner though.

We had R/C in the old rental and it was good, mainly because it warms the house very quickly and you could set it on timers etc so it was great in winter.

Don't forget ceiling fans, they can work really well, and also location of the house, some are a lot cooler than others.

Some ceiling fans have a winter position - blade turn the other way. Not personally had any experience yet but will do as I use a room with some like this.

Cooler

Guest kerfumph
Hi there

We have ducted reverse cycle in our house - so the whole house can be heated or cooled. Its powered by electric so on the down side its not the cheapest thing to run. We have wood burner fitted in our house and we use that in the evenings as it kicks out a fair amount of heat and financially is definately cheaper

We have a combustion heater, which means you have to have firewood. It works well, and is very very cheap to run. .

I have both and have done the sums, A winter of firewood (3 Tonnes) $700. Winter leccy bill using R/C as heating $800, but that includes all the other electric stuff as well.

I have both and have done the sums, A winter of firewood (3 Tonnes) $700. Winter leccy bill using R/C as heating $800, but that includes all the other electric stuff as well.

You definitely won't spend that much on firewood - my in-laws spend about $200 a winter and run theirs constantly, day and night. Besides, you get heaps of firewood for free around here if you know where to look.

You'll spend nowhere near the amount on water that you will on the electricity for a reverse cycle.

We have evp cooling was put in new when we bought the house cost just ove $3k toput in its not that great at cooling when we have the really hot days.Is cheaper to run and cant say we used that much more water than the winter months and the water that comes out we connected to a hose and we water the garden with it:idea:.

We are going to have gas ducting put in this winter that cost between $2 and a half K to $3K but most companys are doing interest free at the mo:D.

Hi there,

We have a few different systems in our houses. The evaporative systems are much cheaper to run but do not offer the zone control (bedroom, lounge, kitchen etc) facility of the reverse cycle systems. We have just had two Inverter reverse cycle systems installed....both cooling in Summer and heating in Winter. They are supposed to be cheaper to run than the standard reverse cycles....but....the human factor comes into play! If you set them at 24 degrees they are quite energy efficient but there's a 10% increase in electricity for every 1 degree change. Running costs at 18 degrees on full fan can be $1 a hour! My OH gets so fed up with our systems running when the houses are empty! He would put a coin slot on them if he could!

They cool the whole house down in a few minutes but require the doors and windows to be closed as opposed to the evaporative cooling that need doors or windows open.

hope that this helps!

Tamara