Electric blankets?????????????

she1971

i would yep. i remember them being quite cheap in uk from argos etc but they do seem expensive here from what i remember seeing them in the shops for last winter Didnt search for bargain ones though so may be out here?? i dont suppose the demand for them in australia is as great so less competition?:unsure:

hth

kathx

Guest Here at last!

I would buy one too, it will be the first thing we buy this winter. We were shocked as to how cold the house and bed was last year, we even went to bed with hats on just to keep warm.

Might change my mind - Harris Scarife have one in King Size for $89 which is a lot cheaper than Argos.

Guest guest4504
I would buy one too, it will be the first thing we buy this winter. We were shocked as to how cold the house and bed was last year, we even went to bed with hats on just to keep warm.

Might change my mind - Harris Scarife have one in King Size for $89 which is a lot cheaper than Argos.

Blimey, how old does it get ? Is it colder or does it just feel colder as the summer is better ?

Temperature wise, it generally doesn't get as cold. But it feels really cold at times and I think that is because the houses are mostly designed to keep cool in the hot weather. Even with insulation the houses don't retain the heat. Blinds seem to be more popular than curtains and double glazing and central heating are rare.

I couldn't manage without my electric blanket and down doona, but I have never felt the need for a beany, except once in a wood house in the South-east.

Guest Kelly O

I did the hat thing at night too I must confess...... and fleece too! The long Summer, beautiful Autumn and Spring more than make up for it though. In the big scheme of things it's a small fraction of the year but a bloomin' cold fraction at night!!

In Adelaide winter overnight temperatures can get as low as 2 or 3 Degrees Celsius :shocked: but the only time I ever threw my quilt, blanket, sleeping bag, towels and coat on the bed to keep warm was in the Riverland. It was down to -3 with no heating in a rental place and I nearly froze :swoon:

BLIMEY!!! Only managing here in UK with 15 tog duvet and central heating. Def going to buy 4 halogen heaters and electric blankets tomorrow to go in container.

How long are the temps that low?? This will be the longest winter ever for us as it is still really cold here and we are going from winter to winter!!!! :shocked:

I think winter here does seem quite long (especially the nights). I would say that in my experience - beach days end about May - and by beach days I mean sausage sizzles with friends and rounders/cricket - not swimming in the ocean! Its definately cold in June, July and August but should start heating up in September. There will be blue skies on some of the winters days - temperatures reach into the teens but the nights can be perishing. I would definatley bring electric blankets, electric radiators, winter tog duvets. My husband mocked me when we first arrived - this will be our third winter about how I used to go to bed at night with 15 layers - then came the day when I saw him roll himself in an airtex blanket and fall onto th bed - he looked like a sausage roll - never mocked again. We now live in a house with a wood heater and R/C aircon which we use and its not that bad. I have scraped frost from my car a few times though!

Lindsey

Am thinking that's fine.....3 months of winter knowing that spring definately coming. Had 7 months of winter now and sick of it! I mean we were all happy that it got to 9degrees today! how sad is that???? and mother's day today and not a sign of the daffodils yet....

Guest guest3462

Last winter was our first winter here in Oz and though the temperatures didnt realy drop that much I can honestly say that some nights I have never felt colder in my life, and I can remember one night crying cos I was that cold!!!!

Bring duvets, blankets and heaters with you will definatley appreciate them. But, winter is a short season here and it is gone as quickly as it arrives and there are still some blue skied days where you can get to the beach for a lovely long walk or cricket with friends.

As for Andy and Lindseys woodburner, it is the best thing they have ever bought!! We love goin to their house when it is lit, it is soooo warm!!!