UK Washer - Tripping the Electrics (Plugs?)

Boxertony

I have brought over my brand new un-used Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer from the UK. But I have a problem. I cut of the pre-moulded UK plug and changed it to the 3 pin Ozzie plug, but it tripped the switched. Went back to Bunnings and changed the plug from a 10 amp standard ozzie plug to a 15 amp ozzie plug one. Only to realise that the pins were to big for my sockets, thus I went back to Bunnings, got the smaller pin 15 amp ozzie plug and yet again it always trips my main switch.

I put the English plug back on with the right fuse and used it with an adapter and it still tripped also tried it with a extension socket and it still tripped.

Not sure what to do? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Tony

Guest nishman

We had a problem in our last rental that the laundry power point was taken off of the "ring" in the kitchen. So if you tried to run the toaster or the kettle and the washer it tripped the breaker.

As suggested, I'd try another (lower powered) appliance in the socket and try the washer on another.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I am a whitegoods engineer from the U.K. and may be able to help. What make is the washer and does it trip as soon as you switch it on or when it has been on for a while?

P.S Aussie front loaders are rated the same as U.K ones, i.e the still have a heater. Toploaders are rated at about 5 Amps because none of them have heating elements but I suspect you will be disapointed with the results after using a front loader.

Cheers,

Daz.