Cost of living

Guest Andrew Family

Guest Andrew Family

Wasn't sure where to put this but opted for household..... I know that exact figures are not possible as everyone has different size families etc but would it be possible to give me an idea of the cost of living and a break down of monthly bills for a family of four: we are trying to work out if the salary that we will be getting is going to cover all the bills with room for a decent style of living. We just need to be realistic as we won't have the uk support we have and by gaining the info regarding the actual cost of living will see if the move is possible or just a pipe dream.

As I said I do appreciate that everyone's outgoings are different but an idea would still help. Would also appreciate a basic breakdown so we don't miss anything when we are calculating what we need to put a side. We will have 1 child at school but I have already priced that outgoing.

Many Thanks

Guest mez10

The figures that I've been quoted from the Company that I'm going to work for on a 457 visa are;

Single cover - $1258.95 yearly - $104.91 monthly or $24.21 weekly

Family cover - $2517.90 yearly - $209.83 monthly or $48.42 weekly

I've opted to pay monthly direct from my wage. Not sure if you'll be able to get it cheaper.

I believe that these figures may have changed on the 1st April. I will post new figures when I find out.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Darren & Janet

Guest kangomik

it comes down to earning a dollar and spending a dollar rather than trying to convert back to pounds.

Thats cheap Stevo, did you leave the fridge closed over summer? ;)

Guest caoimhe
just had my 3 month leccie bill $272, which i thought was great.

Stevo

If that was my 3 month leccie bill I would be jumping for joy:biglaugh: mine vary from $450-$650 depending on wether the aircon has been used....there is 6 of us

Guest Andrew Family

Will be working the cost of living against what I will be expecting to take home after tax so not converting it to pounds. Thanks for all the feedback so far, we just need to make sure we can afford to live.

Thank you;)

Guest Andrew Family

Just to add i don't want to know what people earn as that is personal, what I am looking for is just the average cost of bills so we can gauge if one income will be enough and that we are being realistic.

Our cost of living is the same as the UK - some things cheaper, some more expensive. Our electric bill is around $350 per quarter - 5 of us, but not tonnes of electric equipment and we do have the cheapest type of air con. Electric bills will be more expensive if you don't have gas as well! Rates (council tax), petrol etc cheaper, but home wares and food a little more expensive.

We pay $50 a month for health insurance (all 5 of us) but that doesn't have hospital cover (as that is included in the reciprocal agreement). It covers dental, optical and physio - and ambo cover. Health insurance is hard to work out. Sometimes it's easier to know what you can afford to pay first!

Guest kangomik

The relies are back over again they went shopping last night for food. Last time they came they had an exchange of $2.50 to the quid. (12 months ago when it blipped) this time it is $1.60 to the quid.

They noticed how much more expansive things seem based on this exchange rate.

Your earnings will dictate your spending, you cut your cloth accordingly.

you could earn 10 quid and hour (sorry no pund sign on aussie laptop) over hear you may earn $25 an hour (DEPENDING ON TRADE I KNOW:goofy:)

So you will feel higher paid, but when you buy your first things, car, house stuff, food etc you will automatically convert to quids, it's natural.

But by spending and earning a $ things become more relative, but converting to pounds houses and cars will be very expensive.

Everyone has different costs, house design and size, gas and electric supply, location to work, kids, shopping habits.

Shopping habits can make a huge difference, do not one stop shop, look for specials. for instance you can get cheap fruit on a sunday at gepps cross, i rarely see pomms there but every other nationality is:)

If you like the good life, and like expensive things then you will need a bloomin good wage to back that up, and there are not that many jobs paying over $100K.

If you live the simple life, and shop around things will be cheaper. But you will have a shock when it comes to internet phone and tv costs.

Everyone can survive out here, the creature comforts make it easier. It's a hard slog mate but it has it's rewards. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.