House spider or Huntsman?!

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

What's this?! Got back last night to this in the hallway... nasty looking thing and quite a big body. i think its a house spider now i have looked it up though moved pretty fast like a huntsman... our first in the house.. time for pest control!!

Guest Guest75

I think it is a Wolf Spider.

Not much use for pest control,

They carry their live young on their backs - not good thing to stamp on on as the babies go everywhere,including up your leg.:arghh::arghh:

Guest The Dimmocks

We had two of them the other week one inside, one out, def a wolf spider I got me chart out and checked with ours.

Ischa - We been here 10 weeks ish and only seen 3 spiders in the house. If you go looking I'm sure you would find loads, but I dont go looking.

Guest familygood

That was the first big spider we've seen and we've been in here since Jan 20th. You won’t see anywhere near as many spiders as you think you will. But you won’t believe that, as it’s drummed into us that the place is over run with them. I used to get more spiders in my house in Devon than I have here, and just as big - they just weren’t Australian so we didn’t worry about them. Hope that makes you feel better.

Also glad from the replies we've had that I glassed it rather than trod on it!!!! Just goes to show it pays to be kind.

Guest familygood

It doesn't say that on the Australian Museum website just mild skin irritation to humans:

Danger to humans and first aid

Symptoms of a Wolf spider bite are usually minor, restricted to local pain or itchiness. Less commonly, symptoms can include swelling, prolonged pain, dizziness, rapid pulse and nausea.

Guest kangomik

It's not a huntsman, i have had 6 of those (huntsmen) in the garden this weekend cutting down trees

Hard to tell with that shot what it is.

For those not here yet.... don't worry to much about the spiders, they are few and far between. I have about 5 or 6 redbacks around the house, i just leave them alone.... i do hate white tips, but spraying the house helps.

Guest Damien

Trust me on this it's def a wolf spider. I've got an interest in entomology (comes from fly fishing), but am terrified of spiders so know a lot about each spp. We found one in our pool in our last rental. They have thick, meaty legs and are the only spider with a Union Jack marking on their back. This marking is really obvious once you know what to look for. They actively hunt at night, with no web as they live in burrows so will cover a lot of ground. As Tyke says, the females carry their young on their backs, if you attemp to kill the mum the littl'uns flee everywhere! And they are venomous, apparently can kill an animal the size of a dog so just beware if you have kids. If in doubt kill it then id it later. We've just moved in to a new place in PN, I found 5 redbacks in the garden/sheds. I hate killing things for no reason but we have kids so the spiders had to go......

Damo

Guest Wes Bloss

spray the house is the way, ive reccomended aussiemozziefly before on PIA as since we had our house done - sprayed inside and out - we havnt has a thing (other than peice of mind). we had it done about 6m ago so maybe coming up for a renewal soon,. cost about $140ish depending on size of ur house.

So now we are bug free, although we have jsut discovered we have a mouse living behind the kitchen cupbaords - lol, whatever next.

I am terrified of spiders too. I can definitely recommend getting the perimeter of your house sprayed by a pest control company. My husband is a pest controller and sprays our house regularly - never had anything inside the house in 4 years. Anybody on their way who is as scared as me can rest assured it does work.

Guest familygood

Thanks everyone. Now I know it was a wolf spider and with new bubs on the way any day have booked Ozzie Mozzie to come out this week! Cant be too careful.

Guest Guest75
Trust me on this it's def a wolf spider. I've got an interest in entomology (comes from fly fishing), but am terrified of spiders so know a lot about each spp. We found one in our pool in our last rental. They have thick, meaty legs and are the only spider with a Union Jack marking on their back. This marking is really obvious once you know what to look for. They actively hunt at night, with no web as they live in burrows so will cover a lot of ground. As Tyke says, the females carry their young on their backs, if you attemp to kill the mum the littl'uns flee everywhere! And they are venomous, apparently can kill an animal the size of a dog so just beware if you have kids. If in doubt kill it then id it later. We've just moved in to a new place in PN, I found 5 redbacks in the garden/sheds. I hate killing things for no reason but we have kids so the spiders had to go......

Damo

You may be terrified on my boat then.

I took her in for a service last week - the technician asked me to remove the Redbacks on her next service.

They were around the battery where you stood:arghh::arghh:

Guest Damien

Now if you'd told me that a few weeks ago I may have had second thoughts..............nah I'd still have come ;)

Had any luck lately Tyke? I've just bought a great Wilson surf rod and Penn reel ready for the salmon!

Damo

Guest Guest75
Now if you'd told me that a few weeks ago I may have had second thoughts..............nah I'd still have come ;)

Had any luck lately Tyke? I've just bought a great Wilson surf rod and Penn reel ready for the salmon!

Damo

Enjoy the Salmon!

Had some good hits and travelled far.

Had a great day on Friday,5.00am start and we covered miles.

Here is the result - if link works.

Snaps300410.jpg

Guest Damien

Nice catch mate! Are they snook in there? If so I hope you didn't stoop so low as to go trolling haha! Well done matey! I'm gonna have a go off Southport beach one evening this week.

Sorry to hijack the thread but fishing is serious stuff and must be discussed at every available opportunity!

Damo

Guest Guest75
Nice catch mate! Are they snook in there? If so I hope you didn't stoop so low as to go trolling haha! Well done matey! I'm gonna have a go off Southport beach one evening this week.

Sorry to hijack the thread but fishing is serious stuff and must be discussed at every available opportunity!

Damo

Well spotted,we did come inshore and have a go off Hallett Cove for Snook - yep trolling but it was on my mate's boat so capn's wishes rule + KG Whiting off of Glenelg (somewhere ;))

Tomorrow evening should be good as the Salmon should be coming in with that wind stirring em' up.

Many apologies to the OP for going way off topic!

Guest bishop3912

OMG now I've not seen one of those ones yet on our trips to Oz, when I do I know not to stamp on it!!! lol yuck will defo get our house sprayed when we get over.