UK Car Seats

ischa

Hi,

Just want to find out if the car seats you fix with safetly belfts are legal in Adelaide. I have been told that all car seats must be ISO fix seats. It this the case or can we bring our UK seats over, the normal once that you fix with safety belt.

Thanks,

Lindi

Guest stmatt

Nope, they don't have Isofix here. The seats are tethered using an anchoring strap which attaches to a hook behind the seat.

Seats here need to meet AU standards. However you will find that many ozzie mums will import their seats from the UK because they are more robust. We brought ours out and use them as spares in the second ca but we bought Ozzie seats for our main car.

hth

Guest Trakki

you cannot use your UK ones (although personally I prefer them) the seats have to have the anchor strap and the police are starting a new initiative to crack down on child/baby care seats so don't know where you would stand if they stopped you. personally I think as long as they are fitted properly and the child is restrained in a suitable seat it shouldn't be a problem. But it does state that they have to have an anchor strap.

Yeah I would agree UK car seats are loads better but I don't want to incur the roth of the Aussie Police either or for that matter to have an accident and insurance not pay out for an illiegal car seat.

I would just sell yours before you leave or have a fmaily member do it for you and buy new ones once you get here.

HTH

Michelle

It is difficult to get internet prices as most of the big stores only advertise their weekly specials online (a bit backward really)

You can pay very different for different ages and from different stores i.e.

Travel - YCN online baby store, Adelaide, Australia

Sell everything but it is expensive there are plenty of other places like Big W, Toys R us, K mart and Target that sell car seats at least half price. It is just a case of having a look round once you get here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bather's

Does any one know about booster seats, my son uses one i n the UK and will be seven when we arrive. Do they use them in aus?

Thanks

Danielle

Guest Trakki

have a look at this link, there are new car seat laws coming in in July, should tell you all you need to know. It does state on there that any seat not bought in Australia is illegal to use and goes on to state about the anchor straps/tether straps that they should be present thus making UK car seats illegal and from what I have been told the police will be cracking down on this when the new law starts.

Road Safety : New child restraint laws FAQs

Does any one know about booster seats' date=' my son uses one i n the UK and will be seven when we arrive. Do they use them in aus?

Thanks

Danielle[/quote']

Definately bring your booster seat.. I bought 2 mama & papa ones with me (base only seat) which cost about £12.. to buy equivelent here would cost about $50 . My ones look better quality too than the base booster seats ive seen..

Isofix is not recognised here , although i would say EU standards are alot higher than here.. If you have isofix seats already, theres no harm in bringing them, especially for when you first arrive as you can use the seats with a belt.. The isofix seat I had in the uk also had a 'top tether' as an option which would attach to the anchor fittings ..

.. I have had 2 cars here that have had isofix . (kia carnival & ford escape) .

a uk seat is better than no seat at all..

Guest Dave & Carole

NOt sure about latest legal advice on booster seats, but we bought two when we got here - more expensive & very dangerous as they slide around even when strapped in carefully! WE use our UK ones & are even going to buy two more when we go back for a visit so we have some in both cars. I know rules for child/baby seats are different so no point bringing them. Hope that helps.

Guest guest3462

Well here is my OPINION........I would bring your own car seats from the UK, the quality and safety standards are much higher than Aussie ones, and the seats here are incredibly overpriced!

Guest Trakki

Booster seats are fine so bring them if you can it is just the ones that are fixed in the car and althoug I agree with you Julia that the UK ones are better when the new laws come in in July the police will be cracking down and as the UK ones are not to Australian standard you are risking a fine. They are over priced here but I would rather pay that than a police fine and 3 demerit points.

• 8 months later...

UK seats are not legal. I've done a lot of reading on this the past few days and am seriously annoyed/upset as I am a parent who has opted to keep children rear facing till 4.

You can only use Australian approved car seats and have to have a tether point in your car to tether the car seat toward the boot. You of course use a seatbelt also to keep the seat in place. This is considered the only option. There is no Isofix although there is a push to get the law changed and allow them to be sold (however my understanding is this will be a slow process as there is some resistance in certain areas for reasons I shall save explaining). Most new cars in Aus are sold with Isofix points as they are in the US, UK, Europe, Japan and elsewhere. Australia is waiting on overseas research about the ease of installation for Isofix to see if it proves it does ensure the correct fitting of a car seat pretty much every time. This would be their reasoning if they push Isofix through. Not that its safer or anything like that (imagine the law suits if they stated this eh ). So they are being cagey. Also a number of Australian companies hold the monoply on top tethered car seats sold in Aus so they are maybe not keen for Isofix.....

Depending on the age of your child/ren you'll need new car seats for them (all).

I'd personally never scrimp on car seats for older kids either. Having a proper seat with a back and child fitting restraints/belt built in on that rather than using simply a booster and an adult seatbelt can make all the difference in event of an accident (yes I am passionate about car safety for kids) and would say for a 4 year old to invest in a proper kid seat to last a few more years. Britax (probably one of the best car seat makers in the world) do sell in Australia and I'd go that way and avoid buying an Australian make.

Safe n Sound Car Seats & Child Restraints - Britax AU - BRITAX AU

or

Safe n Sound Car Seats & Child Restraints - Britax AU - BRITAX AU

I'd not get just one of those boosters you sit a child on with no back or side support. But that is my personal opinion based on research and experiences. I know the cost factors but I've always offset the extra bit of dosh needed for a good car seat and not minded passing up on a new pair of shoes or something. My kids safety is my first concern, my old boots will last another year :)

Not to scare anyone but this is why I am suggesting a highback booster seat till your child is older. It really can help in event of an accident.

Highback booster campaign - BRITAX

Its a bit crap as I can't see the Britax Aus equivalent to their Evolva car seat. That really is a great seat. But the ones on the Britax Aussie site are still good. I think its the lack of Isofix that means Britax range is so different in Oz.