Food shopping and Cadburys

Prema

Okay, I have been into Cole's, woollies and foodland for staple items of groceries.

I have found foodland in Norwood, so cheap. The quality of there breads, cakes and prices in general are really good value. They even have a reduced section by the bakery and there are always different types of loaves there, all for $1.16, and they are still so fresh and soft.

Our grocery shopping for the 4 of us has averaged at about $140 each week which includes loads of treats for the kids. I do go to Adelaide central markets for veggies, fruits and meats.

Another thing I used to read loads of threads about the quality of Cadburys chocolate. I cannot believe how crap it is.... Is it the same, HAIL NO.....

What is up with the hazelnut bar the nuts that are all crushed up and it really tastes like cheap chocolate. The kids don't seem to mind but I can defo tell a difference. The only one that I actually like is the bubble bar, and that seems to taste much like Nestle's aero.

I have tried Cole's own brand fruit and nut chocolate bar which sells at $3, and to be honest that was much nicer then the Cadburys bar.

I do have a great miss, the tea. I love a good cuppa of PG tips and they just don't do them here. I did see a box for sale in Adelaide central market it was for a box of 160 tea bags selling at $30.00. Every time I go there I see this box and I want to buy it but I keep asking myself one question.. How long has that box been there and will it end up tasting like gone off tea bags. Dilmah extra strength doesn't do it for me.

What tea's are everyone else drinking, anything close to PG?

And is there a butter here that is like Clover?

Guest Jersey Bean
Okay, I have been into Cole's, woollies and foodland for staple items of groceries.

I have found foodland in Norwood, so cheap. The quality of there breads, cakes and prices in general are really good value. They even have a reduced section by the bakery and there are always different types of loaves there, all for $1.16, and they are still so fresh and soft.

Our grocery shopping for the 4 of us has averaged at about $140 each week which includes loads of treats for the kids. I do go to Adelaide central markets for veggies, fruits and meats.

Another thing I used to read loads of threads about the quality of Cadburys chocolate. I cannot believe how crap it is.... Is it the same, HAIL NO.....

What is up with the hazelnut bar the nuts that are all crushed up and it really tastes like cheap chocolate. The kids don't seem to mind but I can defo tell a difference. The only one that I actually like is the bubble bar, and that seems to taste much like Nestle's aero.

I have tried Cole's own brand fruit and nut chocolate bar which sells at $3, and to be honest that was much nicer then the Cadburys bar.

I do have a great miss, the tea. I love a good cuppa of PG tips and they just don't do them here. I did see a box for sale in Adelaide central market it was for a box of 160 tea bags selling at $30.00. Every time I go there I see this box and I want to buy it but I keep asking myself one question.. How long has that box been there and will it end up tasting like gone off tea bags. Dilmah extra strength doesn't do it for me.

hi there,

Cant help you but you helped me!

Thank you you`ve just answered my question I was going to post.

Whats the average cost of food shop for family of 5.. ? & of course PG tips I love it so much will have to find some thing similiar or I can`t go!

We have it here in Dubai but again you pay a lot like 5 quid for 40bags silly as. but i need it! when I go back to uk I forget its only 1pound fifty & I am very excited..I buy ten!

Please let me know what is the best tea

Claire

Guest garlic--bread

Hi, I'm still in UK and just paid £15 for 1000 pg tips pyramid bags from netto !! now thats a deal lol :) but you got the weather :(

I'm a big tea drinker and find Tetleys All Rounder isn't too bad. Just a matter of trying a few different ones I guess until you find one you like! Norwood is lovely isn't it, I love the atmosphere there. And the grain store at Central Market (off to the side in one of the little arcades is a good find too for things like cereals and stuff if you haven't found that yet. The little stall in the market (near Zumas cafe, and Lucia's cafe) also sells delicious belgian (I think) chocolate (you can't miss it, it also has a chocolate fountain selling waffles with strawberries and melted chocolate - yum!)

You can get pg tips tea bags in coles in the British section along with mushy peas alpen weetabix and lots of other British foods you do pay a premium for them. I will need to rain my spending in there is only the two of us left in the house and we spend $180-$200 a week on shopping and that eatin out twice a week.

Do most of our shoppin in Foodworks, woollies and rite price, spend around $100-$130 weekly for a fam of 4 soon to be five as my son will be movin in shortly, so expectin the weekly shop to avg $150 ish. It can get expensive if you have to have name brand stuff, but to be honest we don't miss that much and we found some of the Aussie stuff is quite nice, sayin that we are still lookin for a decent curry sauce to put on our chips.

You can get pg tips tea bags in coles in the British section along with mushy peas alpen weetabix and lots of other British foods you do pay a premium for them. I will need to rain my spending in there is only the two of us left in the house and we spend $180-$200 a week on shopping and that eatin out twice a week.

Prema, you could try the Foodland at Newton as well, that has quite a few British products (and a lot of italian stuff!!!)

Guest jojo

Hi There

It took me ages to find decent T bags and I like the Twinings English breakfast tea, a bit pricy but nice and Tetley english blend arent too bad. Watch out for the items in Coles they are really expensive but good if you need a fix.

Chocolate is another matter, I go to the Sweet shop at Christie beach, Hallet Cove or Glenelg. ( I need to go as my husband ate my last Double Decker!!!!:arghh:) My friend in the Uk actually bans me from sending her Cadburys chocolate from here!!!

Butter: they have Lurpax here or try Western star.

Hope that helps

Jo xxxxx

Guest Jersey Bean
We got the weather you would not say that if you were here it was really cold last night.

I think he means here in Dubai! but its too hot to go outside getting even hotter! it may as well be raining stuck in all the time!

looking forward to my seasons again! :goofy:

Guest mandmick

I can't believe I used to moan in Dubai about the lack of British stuff! it was heaven compared to Adelaide! Even if it was a bit more expensive, you could buy it!

Thankfully hubby still goes to Dubai for work so I can give him the Boots and Marks and Spencer's shopping list!!

When do you arrive?

I think he means here in Dubai! but its too hot to go outside getting even hotter! it may as well be raining stuck in all the time!

looking forward to my seasons again! :goofy:

No I ment here in Adelaide when the sun goes down and before it comes up its been cold but not to bad during the day .You will find it too hot here in the summer also when it hits 45 deg a couple of days in a row.

Guest janmoo

liptons extra strong isnt bad.... the other stuff I call lighthouse tea (cos its blinkin near water!! LOL) At first I thought it was me then I discovered not matter how many times I squeezed the bag it was still too weak.. When I get there I will open up a teabag shop!!!

Yeah well think yourselves lucky you can get your tea albeit for a price, cos my daughter fell in love with Kusmi tea, particularly their Christmas tea which has citrus and spice n almonds in it when we were in Europe and the company can not import because of Aus Quarentine practices with fumigation cos they believe in organic production.

Guest Jersey Bean
No I ment here in Adelaide when the sun goes down and before it comes up its been cold but not to bad during the day .You will find it too hot here in the summer also when it hits 45 deg a couple of days in a row.

Excellent , I do like the heat for 3 or 4 days! but not for 4 months... :arghh:

Heading back to Jersey Wednesday to feel the cool breeze & I bet its raining !

& of course get loads O tea bags ha..

You can find PG tips in the english section in most coles...where you will also find Weetabix!!!! Called Whole Wheat Buiscuits...hoping to get my daughters boyfriend to try them later...see what he thinks as he eats the aussie version of weet bix...YUK!

Guest Bilko

HI, I to love a good cupper, the best I have found here is Billy tea at most of the supermarkets, and one of the cheapest, I reckon even better than Brooke Bond. all the best Bilko.

Guest Jersey Bean
HI, I to love a good cupper, the best I have found here is Billy tea at most of the supermarkets, and one of the cheapest, I reckon even better than Brooke Bond. all the best Bilko.

Hi there,

Cool sounds like there is a few nice brews over there will have to give em ago thanks for the info!;)