Slate hearth for combustion heater - sturdiness?

suzer

Wondering how sturdy these (slate) should be, as we dropped a not so large log from not much of a distance on ours and it has a big crack in it now. I thought slate was as sturdy as tiles and am wondering if I need to go after the installer for providing something shoddy:(

Certainly don't tell them you dropped anything on it. Slate is fragile due to its composition. Its multi layers which over years of pressure form a flat plate.

They may have bedded it down unevenly which can go to ensure the slightest drop causes a crack.

Trouble is the guarantee here will be null and void as soon as they finish brushing up//

Good luck

Certainly don't tell them you dropped anything on it. Slate is fragile due to its composition. Its multi layers which over years of pressure form a flat plate.

They may have bedded it down unevenly which can go to ensure the slightest drop causes a crack.

Trouble is the guarantee here will be null and void as soon as they finish brushing up//

Good luck

Thanks for that - actually makes me feel a bit better:/ Next hearth we'll get made from proper tiles I think.

• 3 months later...