Heating Installation-Evaporative A/C

Guest mandmick

Guest mandmick

We have evaporative a/c and were told when we bought the house it would not be too much hassle to add heating to the system as we have the power??

Our house is much colder than we expected and we're exploring methods of heating...

Has anyone done this recently or can recommend a few companies to obtain quotations..

Or has anyone had this type of a/c and installed a separate kind of heating.. ie solar, or reverse cycle.. (which I would prefer as it can be individually controlled) but wondering about cost of replacement!

We have one gas heater installed but it just isn't enough for the entire house during these chilly months!!!

Thanks!

How about installing a wood burning stove, this would heat the whole house. We have just had one installed a few weeks back and its fantastic. We also have reverse cycling heating/cooling but we much prefere the stove. It costs a fair amount to buy ( if you want a good one ) but its well worth it. Especially inlight of the powercuts we have had the last 2 nights :arghh:, we may have been sitting about in the dark, with only a few candles but we have been really warm:jiggy:,lol.

We have been through this process with our renovations.

I have a house and a cottage with evaporative aircons. Your only option with this type of system is to add a separate heating system such as a gas ducted system or to replace it with a reverse cycle heating / cooling system. I opted to keep the evaporative cooling and invest in the Rinnai wall vented heaters for winter.

The other properties had no aircons and we started from scratch.

I had an inverter reverse cycle installed in the house. This has individual zone control and cost $8000. This system is ceiling vented into 6 rooms but it only works with the doors and windows closed.

For the new cottage I again went for an inverter reverse cycle but this time decided to go for three wall split units. This cost $5500.

What they meant by having the power refers to the size of the cable that feeds into the house from Etsa. We have had to replace both feeds into the houses to increase the amount of power that can flow from the road to the house as a reverse cycle uses much more electricty than an evaporative cooling system.

Lot's of money whatever way you go!

How about installing a wood burning stove, this would heat the whole house. We have just had one installed a few weeks back and its fantastic. We also have reverse cycling heating/cooling but we much prefere the stove. It costs a fair amount to buy ( if you want a good one ) but its well worth it. Especially inlight of the powercuts we have had the last 2 nights :arghh:, we may have been sitting about in the dark, with only a few candles but we have been really warm:jiggy:,lol.
\

I'd 2nd this. We have a combustion heater as well. It cost us about $3K all up, installed, and we got the top of the range. They work fantastic and cost almost nothing to run. We haven't even paid for wood yet - although we've scored a couple of trailers full for free by just keeping a look out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest timstoolbox

Some friends of mine just had gas ducted for $3K, 5 outlets unzoned from Rite Price I think.

Gas ducted is the best (my opinion), and with evap cooling it's the best combination for all seasons. Evap is REALLY cheap to run compared to RC (by between 5-10 times depending how you use it)

Hope that helps.