water costs

Prema

Can anyone tell me what sort of cost our water bill maybe.?

We are a family of four and everyone showers everyday. Use the dishwasher every night and use washing machine say 2/3 times max a week. Oh yeah kids have a shared bubble bath, half full just to play on a sat if they have been good.

Would be interested to know figures as I have not got a clue.

Thanks

Prema

Hi Sorry can't help we are currently in a rental and the landlord is responsible for 136 or 176 cM of water (can't remember which) and anything over and above we have to pay. Think most rentals are like that, having said that we have a pool, air con showers daily and the kids have a bath every day and we have not had to pay anything.

Hope that helps

Michelle

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie Pat's other half here

Difficult to give you a helpful answer on this one. A big part of your bill is for waste water disposal and treatment which is linked to the capital value of your house, and this value is fixed by an official value which may or may not be what you or your landlord, if renting, paid for the house. Another big component can be garden watering, but because of that a lot of people have given up on garden watering or gone for desert/native gardens. Leaving out these bits, your bill for the rest of the consumption is reasonable, although prices are due to go up once the desalination plant is up and running.

Hi Prema,

Our Port Noarlunga house has a garden that we water. The monthly charges do fluctuate but average out at $100 per month over the year. The bulk of this is made up of other charges that are included in the water bill such as sewerage and save the Murray levy.

Our Christies house has a pool and the water charge can be quite horrendous! On a hot day you lose thousands of litres if the solar blanket is not on.

There are plenty of government incentives to use less water. Rebates for toilets, shower heads, mulch for the garden, water efficient washing machines, pool covers etc. I would say work on around $100 per month and you should be ok.

Our Christies house was first rented out as an unfurnished rental and the tenants paid all the water charge. I think that they paid $180 for the year but if I was to do it again I would prefer the charge to kick in above a certain usage to avoid the neglect of the garden which is what happened.

We paid the fixed charges and levies and they paid for what they used. It was rented out through an agency and this was just what was written into the contract? It's worth checking.

Guest the4hopes

Are you renting? We are renting and just pay for the water we use, the landlord pays sewerage etc. We have 2 teenage daughters, we pay about $100 per quarter.

Are you renting? We are renting and just pay for the water we use, the landlord pays sewerage etc. We have 2 teenage daughters, we pay about $100 per quarter.

Yep we are renting, but thanks everyone for your answers at least now I have some idea.