Cars - 4x4 or not

spanners

Hi all.

Arrived in Gawler on Tuesday and have had to hit the ground running - as I guess everyoneelse has had to. I've just bought a car for my wife and now need one for me. I was planing on getting a Subaru Outback as it has a big boot, 3.0 or 3.6 engine and 4x4 but its quite expensive and the 4x4 part means it uses more fuel. So, the question is do I need a 4x4? I don't want a SUV but do want to go off camping, onto the beaches, tow a dirt bike and have a general family car that can go most places - not including trenched out muddy tracks where only a Land Rovers would survive. My wife's work have hired us a Holden Commadore SV6 saloon - is the estate any good and would it do everything except really slippy tracks? I'll be living in the Barossa rather than the 10 miles down a dirt road.

All advice would be greatly received.

Thanks. Jon

Guest guest569

I wouldn't be without a 4x4 in the family nowadays. Some of the roads are quite bad in the winter , and you can also go out and have some fun as a family either off road, beach ect...

Guest kerfumph
Hi all.

Arrived in Gawler on Tuesday and have had to hit the ground running - as I guess everyoneelse has had to. I've just bought a car for my wife and now need one for me. I was planing on getting a Subaru Outback as it has a big boot, 3.0 or 3.6 engine and 4x4 but its quite expensive and the 4x4 part means it uses more fuel. So, the question is do I need a 4x4? I don't want a SUV but do want to go off camping, onto the beaches, tow a dirt bike and have a general family car that can go most places - not including trenched out muddy tracks where only a Land Rovers would survive. My wife's work have hired us a Holden Commadore SV6 saloon - is the estate any good and would it do everything except really slippy tracks? I'll be living in the Barossa rather than the 10 miles down a dirt road.

Thanks. Jon

Difficult with out knowing how much $$$ but if it was me 4x4 deffo, camping means you will need it.

30K Xtrail ( now 29990 drive away)

40K hard choice, 2nd hand prado or pajero probably

50K mitsi challenger/ Nissan pathfinder

60k New patrol if you haggle a bit.

70k landcruiser/ disco 4

also don't discount the utes, navara and triton, but they don't drive best on the bitumen.

The only people that NEED 4wd are the newly arrived poms. Been here almost 20 years, been to quite a few places and never needed one yet - cant figure out which are roads that get bad in the winter!!!!!!!!!! Snow? sleet? the winter here is very tame.

The only people that NEED 4wd are the newly arrived poms. Been here almost 20 years, been to quite a few places and never needed one yet - cant figure out which are roads that get bad in the winter!!!!!!!!!! Snow? sleet? the winter here is very tame.

Hmmmm, you are aware that the biggest makers of parts for 4X4 vehicles (ARB for example or 4x4 Equip Pty Ltd) and a lot of the testing of what does and doesn't work in the 4x4 world all happens in Australia Jenny? and then there's the 4x4 challenges (outback challenge for one) that pay out big money to competitors from all around the world who go to Australia every year to compete?

I have a Disco 3, so I'm biased.

Guest joolz
Hi all.

Thanks. Jon

We just bought a Miisubishi Outlander Activ (currently on offer, new), it can be driven 2 or 4 wheel drive. It is high enough and big enough without being massive. Have a look...it has a 5 yr capped service and 5 yrs nationwide road side assistance, 5 yr warrenty too!

We thought it was a good deal and had it in 4 days!!

Guest Guest75

It does depend upon your needs and lifestyle.

I think how many have 4X4's in the UK and never take them off road.

Here there are many more opportunities.

Size does matter.

4X4's are just great for carrying everything for camping ,picnicking,shifting gear,towing.

I'd certainly be getting a largeish vehicle just for that reason alone 4X4 or not.

Go diesel if possible,the newer common rail rail diesel engines are great and economical.

Most of my Aussie friends have them and would not be without.

They might decide on Friday night to go off camping in the wilds for the weekend.

Great if you fish - must remember to organise a 4X4 fishing trip/overnighter down to the mouth of the Coorong.

If you are going to get 4x4 get a diesel, if you can get one that will also drive in 2 wheel mode as this saves on tyres as well a fuel consumption.We have a patrol and it is diesel and when using it on road always drive in 2 wheel drive save 4x4 for when off road.

My husband lived in the Flinders Ranges for a year, drove thousands of kms on dirt roads and all he had was a Commodore. I drove it quite a bit up there too.

Drove on lots of supposedly '4WD only' tracks, used to make him laugh when all the weekenders turned up in their shiny 4WDs and switched into 4 wheel drive mode as soon as they left Port Augusta.

Guest kfoley0681

if your thinking of camping i would definatly say 4x4. we do alot of camping and have a winnibago have been caught out and had to drive off! we have now got 4x4 and tents also as there are some beautiful places but 4x4. also there are camp sites that you can pop up a tent and 4x4 drive. also f you do off road motor biking could be tretchrous without a 4x4!

I got a Prado, and wouldn't be without it. Carries loads, pulls trailers etc no problem. Got a big old dis-used quarry behind us, good on the trails there too. Granted i'm lucky as i get it free from work, as i have to drive bush to drilling sites etc, and never had a problem going anywhere in it.