Broadband help plllease

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hi

In the uk we had unlimited broadband use (which was free I might add) and ive had a look at the options here and its all talkign about MB and GB etc and its all absolute gibberish to me and I just dont know which package to go for.

We just use the internet for emails skype etc. No downloading or antying but we do use the et quite a lot, probably 2 hours a day.

Any advice please on what packagI need or how many MB things etc greatly appreciated :wubclub:

Michelle

Hi

In the uk we had unlimited broadband use (which was free I might add) and ive had a look at the options here and its all talkign about MB and GB etc and its all absolute gibberish to me and I just dont know which package to go for.

We just use the internet for emails skype etc. No downloading or antying but we do use the et quite a lot, probably 2 hours a day.

Any advice please on what packagI need or how many MB things etc greatly appreciated :wubclub:

Michelle

Welcome to the world wide mega inter web, SA style.

Skype uses a fair bit if you use the video. We originally used mobile broadband on USB dongle so we got an idea of what we wanted. I chose to air on the side of caution and now have way too much. We have 30gig peak, 30gig off peak and 20gig upload (all per month). The most we have used is 11gig and that was using Skype and watching Premiership live online.

If you watch any Youtube, then that eats up your download, ask anyone with teenage kids:) I'd say that 5gig/month should be plenty from what you have said.

Cooler

Guest Chandan

I have just got a dongle with Vodaphone that gives you 8GB for $39 a month.. no tie in contract, just month by month that might help to start with..

You may want to get the equivelent to SKY and Telstra do a broadband, Wifi, Foxtel (like SKY) and home phone bundle. I dont think there is a download limit, my brother , myself and my parents all using the net at the same time for a month and didnt go over its limit.

• 1 month later...

Skype video chews up bandwidth. My partner learnt this the hard way when we were first apart, and Skyping lots. He upgraded to a 20Gb package from a 4Gb package, and we've not has any problems since, even though were skyping for 2-3hrs a day. So basically, I would say 20Gb is more than you would need. Most broadband providers, you can log in to see how much you've used this month, so you might want to get a smaller package, monitor your usage, and upgrade if necessary the next month.

Guest Grahame68

Hi Michelle.

I see you live in Mawson Lakes. We have just moved into a house here too. We have just sorted our broadband situation. When we first arrived my wife invested in a Telsta Turbo dongle and I just had a vodafone pay as you go dongle. For what you need I think the vodafone option would suffice. I download music and use You tube stuff and the $29 level seemed to last a while.

The problem you will encounter in Mawson Lakes is the coverage in regards to fixed broadband. We went to Telstra at the weekend and was told they don't cover this area. We are in a blackspot!! We have therefore gone for an Adam Internet service using something called WiMax. They put an aerial on the roof which gives you coverage. As it is for my wife's business and my usage it is a little expensive relative to the UK at $70 a month but hopefully is more than we need. Shall see when it comes to skyping the relatives.

Where are you in Mawson Lakes then and how long have you been over here?

Guest Grahame68

I am not sure. I need to read up a bit on it. I believe we are entitled to some kind of rebate as we are in a blackspot area but I need to read up some more. The cost to us so far has been installation and one month up front of $270 based on a 2 year contract with Adam internet. That includes the install and the router so not to bad I thought.

Guest shella_n

Hi

This is a post which I put on a couple of months ago when we moved into ML.

FYI, in the end I went with iinet. I pay $80 a month and for that I get 150GB (75 off peak and 50 on peak). I paid $150 installation charge. For that we get ADSL 2 and the BoB which is also a phone and so I dont need to pay line rental. The reason I went for this one was that there is no contract and I can leave anytime whereas everyone else wanted a 2 year contract.

We have been in ML for about 2 months now. Have made some great friends and really like it here but I dont think its long term for us and we are consiering relocating to QLD.

Let me know if you need any help/advive about the ML area.

Michelle

Guest WhatNow?

Just been discussing iinet with my nephew who lives in Melbourne and he is really pleased with them - he has been with them for nearly a year now and although we all thought it sounded too good to be true, it does seem to be working out. Loads of free stuff in their 'Freezone' too.

Guest Grahame68

No idea yet though was chatting to someone in the Tea Tree Plaza mall who's boyfriend was a bit of an IT geek and she said it seemed to work quite well having been with a few other providers in the past. Still waiting for it to be installed at the moment.

Adam have recently introduced a new plan which is 50 gb for $50 a month. We used to have 12gb a month and found with UTube and watching/listening to the BBC through the PC it was getting used up quickly and we kept buying new downloads to keep us going. This cost us $5 each 'package' of extra downloads, and the trouble was we got 12 gb peak and 12 gb off peak but we weren't using the offpeak hardly at all.

The 50gb is 'anytime' usage, so I can now download loads more when I really need it, and not have to buy extras, or try and use the thing in the middle of the night!

We only found out about the new offer when we rang up for something else, so if you are with Adam, it is worth checking if they have brought out any new plans since you signed up that might be cheaper/better for your usage.

Hope that makes sense - I'm not very techy-minded! I do like Adam though because you get through to a real person on their help desk.

Hi,

I have three Adam ADSL connections and they have been great. There's been one break in service one evening but everything else has been stable for over a year. They are easy to deal with and offer good support as well.

The 50 gig plan is a good option. I am going to change over two of my connections to it as the present offpeak cap is rarely used.

I also had a Telstra connection and didn't have a problem with that. Dealing with them was a total nightmare though!! I am moving back to Port Noarlunga in the next few weeks and instead of transferring my Adam connection I am going to sign up for a Telstra bundle. With the bundle you get 200 gigs, free unlimited local calls, free unlimited mobile calls to any mobile network, and platinum Foxtel service. The details are on the Telstra website but it's not for everyone. I just figure that I have Foxtel already and I also have a pc gaming son who wipes out our present 60 gig cap!! The free calls are a bonus!

Getting Adam can be quite difficult in some areas...there's a shortage of available lines at the Lonsdale exchange that supplies the south. (Mine is coming available if anyone wants it?).

Tamara