URGENT gas help please - carbon monoxide etc!!!

Sallyh

We had a drama at teatime... Have a fireangel carbon monoxide detector which went off at teatime and half the (old) gas heater had gone out and the entire house had begun to fill with gas... the alarm sounded for about 40 mins and we managed to go and open all the windows and doors, switch gas heater off and stayed out of the way in the playroom till the alarm stopped and air a bit better.

Don't know how long we were exposed to the carbon monoxide before the alarm went off, and I've had a headache today. Its still pretty bad.

Anyway, the gas people tell me carbon monoxide detectors are actually illegal here (so I am not sure how you are supposed to know whether there's a carbon monoxide problem with an appliance or not, cos its quite controversial with rented houses in the UK isn't it?!).

Don't know how sensitive the fire angel is, or at least we do because there's info but we don't know what level of gas we've been exposed to and whether the gas has now all gone seeing as the alarm has stopped.

Matthew has switched gas off outside (so have no hot water till its back on again).

Ken Hall have been called out by the agents and hopefully will be able at least to confirm that the appliance isn't now leaking, and that we can have the gas back on for the water.

So, English plumbers, what's your view on the fire angel thing, how on earth do we keep ourselves protected from carbon monoxide in Oz if we can't have those detectors?

I had an English plumber service it last year actually and he had a detector he brought from the UK, but obviously I can't guarantee the plumber will be English (pity) and now have been told we aren't supposed to have a detector...

What's your view?

I rang the emergency gas people, and they had never heard of carbon monoxide detectors. They then rang back (after agreeing to send someone) and said that those detectors are illegal here. Only have their word for it, but they are the official emergency people, so...???!

The heater had half gone out before the alarm went off, so was obviously emitting carbon monoxide at that point and it took 40 mins before the alarm stopped - apparently it keeps going and stops when the air is clear. Just I don't know how sensitive it is, so the level before it went off, and after it stopped (when I could still smell gas) is unclear.

This is one of our concerns..

We have a gas fitter friend from the uk, who had changed his occupation over his frustrations over safety standards here. (virtually non existant)

We've had our gas fire checked & they really didnt seem to be concerned over carbon monoxide poisoning!! He did say there was a 'slight gas leak' , but not big enough to worry about!!! (easy for him to say when he's not living with it!!) Im more concerned about the people employed to check these things..

Try to get a pom gas fitter to look at it!!

I have sent for an alarm from the uk as couldnt buy one here..better safe than sorry.

Cant imagine on what grounds a detector/alarm could possibly be illegal here!!!

Carbon monoxide does not have a smell.

If you could smell gas then that is what the leak was - gas. If you ever smell gas, ventilate by opening doors and windows, turn the gas off at the meter, and do not operate any electrical switches on or off, and do not use the telephone. It is quite normal for gas appliances to have very slight gas leaks which are not dangerous in that you will not blow up - I believe the term is 'letting by'. It would be extremely unusual for a leak to reach the HEL and be potentially explosive.

If you have your gas appliances serviced regularly and keep flues clean and clear you shouldn't ever need to have a carbon monoxide alarm.

Carbon monoxide does not have a smell.

If you could smell gas then that is what the leak was - gas. If you ever smell gas, ventilate by opening doors and windows, turn the gas off at the meter, and do not operate any electrical switches on or off, and do not use the telephone. It is quite normal for gas appliances to have very slight gas leaks which are not dangerous in that you will not blow up - I believe the term is 'letting by'. It would be extremely unusual for a leak to reach the HEL and be potentially explosive.

If you have your gas appliances serviced regularly and keep flues clean and clear you shouldn't ever need to have a carbon monoxide alarm.

This is true in a way, but why would you not protect yourself further if you can , its like saying just have 3rd party car insurence as its not worth having fully comp if you drive carefuly..theres always an exception and things go wrong...ie..the huge cases recenly in council accomodation in uk where property's and equipment were serviced regulary but still resulted in a few childrens deaths!!! :( Bristol and cumbria if i remember correctly?

If you can make 1% diffrence wouldnt you do it???

Google it you will not find a single entry on its non-legality, in fact a few websites such as Victoria Gov promote their use, no info on SA Gov though ;)

Yes I found nothing to say they were illegal either! Haven't a clue what they were saying really, they just were a little unhelpful and said that the readers were not reliable and that is why they are not legal... could be they had wrong info, the guy i was talking to didn't even know what it was had to ask someone else... so they are obviously not in common usage anyway!

This is one of our concerns..

We have a gas fitter friend from the uk, who had changed his occupation over his frustrations over safety standards here. (virtually non existant)

We've had our gas fire checked & they really didnt seem to be concerned over carbon monoxide poisoning!! He did say there was a 'slight gas leak' , but not big enough to worry about!!! (easy for him to say when he's not living with it!!) Im more concerned about the people employed to check these things..

Try to get a pom gas fitter to look at it!!

I have sent for an alarm from the uk as couldnt buy one here..better safe than sorry.

Cant imagine on what grounds a detector/alarm could possibly be illegal here!!!

Yep, think English gasmen are the way to go next time we need one (except house is rented, so not quite as easy!). I said it above but just to answer your Q, seems that they were saying because they are not 100% accurate they aren't permitted. But I would think having one is better than having nothing???!!!!!

I did find a couple of products on the net but didnt get as far as suppliers. Might get to Mitre 10 and see what they are selling and buy one for my inlaws...!

I realise CO has no smell but we had more of a problem than just the CO. There was gas in the room as well, and the appliance hadn't been properly serviced previously it turns out and the problem was burning dust...

Totally agree with last poster - there's been so much publicity in the UK about CO detectors (and absence of) that I'd never use a gas fire without one.

But hey, its difficult enough to even get a children's fireguard here isnt it???!!!!!

Guest stevewhite

Hi

Only just noticed this post as I have only just joined this forum prior to moving to Adelaide this year...I am a Uk Plumber/gas engineer.....

Regarding your gas heater.I am assuming its inside somewhere.If it is then it must be in an adequately vented room even if it is a room sealed appliance with a balanced flue it is safer to have ventilation.If you said your alarm went of and the heater had gone off then it would be unlikely that you were breathing in CO as it is a product of combustion and will not occur unless the gas is being burnt.If your safety controls are not working then they could allow gas to continue to flow even when the flame has gone out which is very very dangerous and the appliance should not be used until that is rectified.

Before switching the appliance on again you must get it serviced and checked by a competent qualified gas engineer.

You need to make sure the safety controls are working correctly.

Make sure the flue ways are not blocked,are installed correctly and are in good condition.

The appliance has adequate ventilation.

The pipework is sound and has no leaks.

The appliance was originally installed as per manifacturers instructions.

The appliance is in good working order.

I could go on but unless these steps are checked satisfactorily then I would not turn the appliance on.

Hope this helps

atb Steveo