We had a drama at teatime... Have a fireangel carbon monoxide detector which went off at teatime and half the (old) gas heater had gone out and the entire house had begun to fill with gas... the alarm sounded for about 40 mins and we managed to go and open all the windows and doors, switch gas heater off and stayed out of the way in the playroom till the alarm stopped and air a bit better.
Don't know how long we were exposed to the carbon monoxide before the alarm went off, and I've had a headache today. Its still pretty bad.
Anyway, the gas people tell me carbon monoxide detectors are actually illegal here (so I am not sure how you are supposed to know whether there's a carbon monoxide problem with an appliance or not, cos its quite controversial with rented houses in the UK isn't it?!).
Don't know how sensitive the fire angel is, or at least we do because there's info but we don't know what level of gas we've been exposed to and whether the gas has now all gone seeing as the alarm has stopped.
Matthew has switched gas off outside (so have no hot water till its back on again).
Ken Hall have been called out by the agents and hopefully will be able at least to confirm that the appliance isn't now leaking, and that we can have the gas back on for the water.
So, English plumbers, what's your view on the fire angel thing, how on earth do we keep ourselves protected from carbon monoxide in Oz if we can't have those detectors?
I had an English plumber service it last year actually and he had a detector he brought from the UK, but obviously I can't guarantee the plumber will be English (pity) and now have been told we aren't supposed to have a detector...
What's your view?