Urgent! How do i remove oil from a driveway?

Guest Scrappin' Julie

Guest Scrappin' Julie

:mad: I need to get the oil off the block paved driveway of my rental and am just making it worse! I started by coating and scrubbing with strong washing liquid and then pressure washing to remove it...the patch just got bigger once it dried! So went to Bunnings and bought degreaser and have sprayed, scrubbed and pressure washed again....but the oil patch just keeps getting larger :realmad:

Please, does any know/recommend/want to have a try to fix this for me?! (I'll owe you BIG time!) I am desperate as I am out of this rental next weekend and cannot afford to lose my bond over this ...I am scared cos I don't know what else to do?

Guest ade&emma
:mad: I need to get the oil off the block paved driveway of my rental and am just making it worse! I started by coating and scrubbing with strong washing liquid and then pressure washing to remove it...the patch just got bigger once it dried! So went to Bunnings and bought degreaser and have sprayed' date=' scrubbed and pressure washed again....but the oil patch just keeps getting larger :realmad:

Please, does any know/recommend/want to have a try to fix this for me?! (I'll owe you BIG time!) I am desperate as I am out of this rental next weekend and cannot afford to lose my bond over this ...I am scared cos I don't know what else to do?[/quote']

Swap the whole slab with one from somewhere else on the drive and put the stained one in its place but with the stained side down. Its worked for a few people we know.

Guest Scrappin' Julie

Thanks for the responses...the "ex-husband" came by tonight and I showed him the driveway - said about turning pavers over. He was saying it would take forever and he hasn't got the time to do it (no longer his problem as he walked out :mad: ) but he did lift a couple and then put them back the other way round. It looks ok to me but he says it will create more problems to do that as the driveway is sloping.... ffs :arghh:

So will be going back to Bunnings in the morning to get the industrial strength stuff and give it another try.

(Next time I'm gonna get myself a Real Man :daydreaming: )

Guest kangomik

Was it his car that was leaking?:)

Have a good look at it tomorrow in the morning light.

Suss out what the bond is that they will hold back and how much you have spent / will spend on sorting the pavers.

If thats the only thing you have to worry about then seriously have a good look at cutting the losses and just moving on.

Or give em the hubbys Bank account details :biglaugh:

You have better things to concentrate one

(Next time I'm gonna get myself a Real Man :daydreaming: )

Good on ya' date=' girl! Did a bit of googling and found more about the cat litter thing - apparently you put it on (any brand will do), then do a little dance on top of it in your oldest shoes to crush it down and make it soak up the stain before sweeping up.... other suggestions were baking soda but that probably costs more than kitty litter... and if all else fails, found this guy in Adelaide who might be able to give you a quote Cleaning Driveways PLUS, John - All areas in Adelaide - HomeImprovementPages.com.au

Never used him, can't vouch for him, just found him on Google.

Best of luck - with both the driveway and the real man thing!

Guest Scrappin' Julie
Good on ya, girl! Did a bit of googling and found more about the cat litter thing - apparently you put it on (any brand will do), then do a little dance on top of it in your oldest shoes to crush it down and make it soak up the stain before sweeping up.... other suggestions were baking soda but that probably costs more than kitty litter... and if all else fails, found this guy in Adelaide who might be able to give you a quote Cleaning Driveways PLUS, John - All areas in Adelaide - HomeImprovementPages.com.au

Never used him, can't vouch for him, just found him on Google.

Best of luck - with both the driveway and the real man thing!

Thanks for your help Diane! I went back to Bunnings this morning and purchased another chemical degreasant - I need to wait for the driveway to dry before I can tell if it's worked (although when I was washing it off there was lots of dirty foam so must have moved something!). If this doesn't with then will give that number a call....I have the whole house to pack, clean and move myself :goofy:

And as for a real man, maybe I should put a new thread up in the Barbie section and see what advice comes my way from men and women :chatterbox: I am sure there are a few opinions as to what makes a real man!

Guest Scrappin' Julie

Update on the driveway....

I have lifted, levelled and relaid the 86 blocks that were stained...took all afternoon and i have no skin left on my finger tips but I think it looks ok (or should I say I think I will get away with it!!) :D

Thanks for all your words of wisdom...PIA rocks :notworthy:

Guest watts10

thats the best way to do it, oil never shifts properly, just brush sand and muck over them to make it look like it they not been touched that normally works ok, you might have to give them a little bash with a rubber hammer if they are not level

Update on the driveway....

I have lifted' date=' levelled and relaid the 86 blocks that were stained...took all afternoon and i have no skin left on my finger tips but I think it looks ok (or should I say I think I will get away with it!!) :D

Thanks for all your words of wisdom...PIA rocks :notworthy:[/quote']

You know the agent is a member on this site !!!!!!!!!

(only joking)

• 3 weeks later...