Computer illiterate/laptop

andy and lindsey

Hi there well the time has finally come when we must say goodbye to the trusty laptop we brought with us from the UK - it died. I'm computer illiterate so was wondering if anyone could suggest any good buys on the market at the moment. We use the laptop for word processor, facebook, skype, photos iTunes and my eldest is also interested in playing games on there too and I guess a DVD rewriter would be good. Haven't been able to do the last too on current machine (no graphics card). Can anyone advise me on a good buy that meet my needs.

Lindsey

If your going to pay cash and not pay monthly i would deffo check out the tinternet for some deals.....

There are some awesome deals out there for electrical products out there...just take a few moment and have a look through the net mate.

I can probably more than likely tell you that whatever anybody suggests will be out done and says nah thats no good you want this then someone else will right no that one is no good go with this one....

HG

You could try going into Harvey Norman and having a chat with them. I find if you don't really know what you're looking for, it's easier to talk to a real person, rather than searching the internet. We got our daughter's laptop from the Gepps Cross store they have, got a great deal, and unlike places like PC World that I remember in the UK, I have always found the people in there really helpful. I bought a new phone from there recently, went in during the week with my list of requirements (two handsets, not interfering with broadband, message facility and ablity to find handset when the kids have hidden it!) and got the most fantastic service and help. And (obviously!) I'm a total technical ignoramous....

On a side note, anyone on Adam Internet - phoned them up with a query the other day and turns out they have a new deal on broadband which is 50 GB for $50 a month - no limitation on when you use the downloads. Much better than we were on and only a little bit dearer...

On a side note, anyone on Adam Internet - phoned them up with a query the other day and turns out they have a new deal on broadband which is 50 GB for $50 a month - no limitation on when you use the downloads. Much better than we were on and only a little bit dearer..

We are with Adam...more than happy with them...

Super 1500kbps/256kbps 100GB (50GB+50GB) $59.95

We are on this plan, and have been running 2 laptops and 2 desktops on it...family of 6..heavy users for all sorts of things...

Never use our entitlement up....

Guest Nick11
You could try going into Harvey Norman and having a chat with them.

Have to completly and utter disagree with you there hun.

We went to Harvey Norman..our only requirements for the computer was for it to have internet access and in built speakers. They sold us a computer that had no internal modem in..we were on dial up where we lived and we had to go back and complain loudly as there were no internal speakers. 3 and half years later the keyboard, printer and monitor are bust and the tower has been repaired 3 times. We took out additional insurance..which we later found didn't cover the laptop,printer or monitor. Have given up taking the tower back as it comes back having more problems than before!!!!:arghh:

I wouldn't touch that company with a barge pole!!!!!!

Guest Nick11

It was a bad purchase. We also got a couple of sat navs with extended warrenties. Have given up taking them back as they are sent away for weeks on end..then come back and still don't work!!!!!

I am not a fan of Harvey Norman!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest5035

there are some good deals on lappys at HN at the moment, BUT, do cross check with the likes of Dick smith and Myers. We did that on the lappy and it was $225 cheaper at Myers, with the Tv's, one was cheaper at Myers the other at HN.

Stevo

I would recommend the cheap Acer on sale at HN at the moment, it comes with Windows 7 and after cashback I think it comes in at $798, alternatively and for probably a better made machine although a slightly lower spec Dell online are offering a standard home laptop for about $699 with all of the usual bits and Windows 7.

Macs are good, hardware is usually well made although quality has slipped lately. They are relatively easy to use but can be very fussy on working with certain peripherals, especially the latest version of OSX. Many drivers still don't support it properly. I wouldn't recommend a Mac for general use unless you had a specific need for one as more software is readily available for PC, you should also find it cheaper and easier to get support on a PC when things go wrong. (Whatever people say both Mac's and PC's both go wrong, a Mac used to be slightly more reliable but with latest version of Windows and OSX I don't reckon there is a lot in it!!)

Cheers

Gary

Hi Lindsey.

If you're looking for something with a good-sized screen a reasonable specs, Acer have a pretty good entry-level model for just under $700, in most stores (was previously closer to $800).

Officeworks | Acer 5742-372G32Mn Notebook

If Harvey Norman have the same model, they will pricematch Officeworks...

In any case, I'd definitely recommend you look for a laptop with one of the newer Core processors (i3, i5, i7) as the performance/value ratio is excellent and are a definite step up from the Core 2 Duo chips.

Justin.