what to bring with us and stock up on

Guest mandy.s

Guest mandy.s

Hi There,:wubclub:

I was looking for some advice on items to bring with us.

I will be packing up the whole house and bringing all my furniture and white goods. I have read it is good to bring lots of bedding & towels.

I just wondered if their is anything I may not have considered which you may be aware of,

is there anything you think i should bring in bulk which would save me a lot when i get their.

thanks from Mandy:wubclub:

Hi Mandy,

Duvets, like the cheap ones you get in asda, tesco and sainsburys. Bring Always ultra, they have whisper which is made by procter and gamble as well, but they are really thick and not slim line like always ultra. Good quality bedding and towels is very expensive here, I stocked up at primemark.

Can't think of anything else for now.

Hope this helps a little

Prema

I will be packing up the whole house and bringing all my furniture and white goods. I have read it is good to bring lots of bedding & towels.

I just wondered if their is anything I may not have considered which you may be aware of,

is there anything you think i should bring in bulk which would save me a lot when i get their.

Bring all your WARM CLOTHES! I am amazed how cold it feels - must have acclimatised to the summer sun:D

Cooler

Guest kangomik

Sunglasses, i thought were cheaper in the UK

Trainers too, or go the soccer shop thingy and get a few cheap paors to wreck around the garden house etc.

If you work in an office, shirts!

My limited experience has told me to forget bringing my fridge and to buy one over there. As ours will be considerably old (5 years plus) by the time we move back so I'll be ditching it before we leave and buying a new one upon arrival to cope with the increased use (storing veggies/fruits in the fridge instead of the cupboard as we can do here). Generally fridges seem to be bigger in Aus and I'd prefer a brand new one to cope better in the heat.

That's about the only thing I don't intend to bring. O and the cooker as its built in. But then most houses have them already and buying a new one isn't the end of the world if we have to. Everything else will ship. Although I will have a really good sort out as we pack and ditch any junk/unused stuff that really isn't worth keeping hold of.

Guest mandy.s

thanks for that info,

as i am unsure about my fridge freezer, it is one of those big american ones with the ice despensers, but it is about 3 years old but still in great condition, what would you reccommend

Guest brianlynnette

hi were in the process of emigrating ourselves and my aunite is over here from adelaide, shes gone mad buying, clothing for the family mainly childrens clothes, curtains, shes buying bigger so she can get them altered when they get back, bedding and wallpaper!!! hope that helps :v_SPIN:

Hi Prima,

Very random question, but we're moving over in a couple of months, and were last there on holiday 3 years ago. When we were there, I don't remember seeing tampax in the supermarket!! Do they have them there, or shall I stock up and get my mum to send parcels!!!!!???

Thanks!

Karyn x

Hi Prima,

Very random question, but we're moving over in a couple of months, and were last there on holiday 3 years ago. When we were there, I don't remember seeing tampax in the supermarket!! Do they have them there, or shall I stock up and get my mum to send parcels!!!!!???

Thanks!

Karyn x

I recall them stocking them. I had to buy some while there last time. I got those compact ones (or was it the new fancy ones with the plastic thing). They sell those if not the more well known ones sold here. But I am pretty sure you can find the other type there also now.

I did a quick search and they are listed on .au website as being stocked/sold. I'd stock up before you come over with a few months supply and I am sure you can find a stockist once there then. If not you can always have some sent over if need be.

Tampax Tampons Super X 10 - PharmacyOnline.com.au

• 4 months later...
Guest Clarky

Hi

We hope to join you all in Adelaide in July - Yippee!

I was going to bring linen towels and kitchen stuff - no white goods though.

Can we use UK tvs and and computers out there?

Also, we hope to scrape together about AU$ 30,000s - is that enough to keep us going until we find jobs?

Any info much appreciated

Cheers:confused:

Can we use UK tvs and and computers out there?

Power supply is the same so no probs. TV would most likely need a set top box though.

Business shirts - buy from M&S before leaving. Nowhere here makes them as good. Most clothing here seems to be of iffy quality and tends to change shape after only one wash. Bring a fleece or two as well.

Guest cazbob
Bayonet light bulbs and 4/6 gang extension sockets for your electricals.Bulbs are expensive,and very dismal(low wattage):D

Just want to re-iterate the extension cables for electrics - seems such a simple idea but one i reckon lots of people don't think of at all!

we're bringing the tv too as the ones in oz seem to be quite expensive for a similar spec.

no doubt the OH will want to bring tea as the stuff in oz seems a bit weaker than here!

Guest Atlast09
just heard we are on the smp so should be out next year-would you advise bringing out our family car-its 6 years old but in lovely reliable condition ?

If you feel that going through the cost of Importation (which is really expensive) and the hassle is worth it because the car is Mint go for it. We considered bringing a work van over. In the U.K. it was worth maybe £2000 , in Oz same van was AU$ 20,000. So for a while we seriously looked into it. By the time you take cost of Shipping and then getting it through customs its not worth it. I think we had a final figure of £8,000.

Hope this helps?

Guest Atlast09
Thanks - bit nervous about the jump to the other side of the world, have you been there long?

Washing machine? lug it or leave it?

Clarky,

Leave it. IMHO not worth the hassle as you can pick them up pretty cheap over hear. Fill the space with something else?

The jump will be worth it. We lived in Woodford in Essex and the difference is mind blowing.

Just think to yourself what you can do on your doorstep in Chelmsford? Here I'm still amazed how much there's to do on your doorstep!! Oh and it's Blue skies and warm for months.