Telephone & Broadband, any advice

andi

Just had a call from Direct Contact (work for Opus) and trying to get us to have their phone and broadband, said not yet as not had any other quotes yet.

No connection fee, $35 per month phone, $50 to spend on calls, all national and local calls 30c each during and after $50 has been used. $5 bolt on for international calls including $5 to spend on calls, all international calls 2c per min during and after $5 has been used.

Only thing is they give you a modem box to plug in with a simm card, is this service any good?

Broadband, went for 2gb first as this is all we could get in uk and it worked for us. No connection fee and $25 per month but using a plug in usb which is transportable. Again worried about coverage and speed.

Any advice would be appreciated, we dont move in rental for 2 weeks so no rush.

Guest Mitchell

Hiya Andy

I sorted out my own rather than the direct connect people as I'm a techie and broadband is really important to me. I phoned around all of them and ended up with Optus as they were the only ones to offer ADSL2 (thats a faster speed) and I got the same sort of deal and even an IPhone4 contract thrown in for good measure. They were certainly the best deal I found and their coverage is pretty good.

We're with optus, we've got some deal with free landline calls and free optus mobile calls from the house phone, also free calls of up to 3 (?) min between our mobiles.

Be careful with the broadband, as most deals have a cap on the amount you can download/upload, if you go over your limit, you'll be paying big money... as my OH found out when we were first long distance and video-skyping very regularly. He upgraded from 4Gb to 20Gb after that and we've had no more issues since. If you use the internet a lot, and regularly watch you-tube, or video-skype, or other such high-data activities, you'll want more than the cheapest bundle.

mobile b/b as you have mention with the usb stick is quite slow really, 3.6mbs. we have it at our place as myself and my partner have only recently got a laptop and we both can use and abuse the internet at work so didnt really need a monthly cost and adsl2.

will be getting it soon though as it annoys the hell out of me after being in the uk with such fast speeds and no limits to here where its slow and everything seems to be "capped". looked into it and think we will go with DODO or TPG, cheaper than telstra and optus and quite good with their download limits ( i miss downloading music and films on a weekend as i forget things by the time work hits monday)