Re-wiring plugs myself?

Guest Mitchell

Guest Mitchell

Hiya pia!

Quick question - I've just been told that I can't buy aussie plugs and re-wire my electrical goods myself as I have to get a certified electrician to do it. Is this true or should I start asking for recommendations for electricians? :goofy:

My container has now arrived safely and is available to go into bonded storage tomorrow so the removal co is estimating 10 days to clear customs. Yay!

I guess it really depends on who would be checking ;-P

They say that about electrical work here, but honestly, the electrics are sooo shoddy here. The plugs spark when you plug them in, we've had a plug socket wired up the wrong way and after 6 mths living in our house we discoved that our fuse box (not ancient), does not have a trip in case of a fault. Scary stuff!

Obviously you can do it yourself, but it would invalidate your insurance. (both for the item, and for fire coverage if that plug/appliance caused a fire) Because apparently insurance companies would know whether you or a certified electrician had done the re-wiring, because they're psychic don't you know...

Hiya pia!

Quick question - I've just been told that I can't buy aussie plugs and re-wire my electrical goods myself as I have to get a certified electrician to do it. Is this true or should I start asking for recommendations for electricians? :goofy:

My container has now arrived safely and is available to go into bonded storage tomorrow so the removal co is estimating 10 days to clear customs. Yay!

Hi,

Do it yourself, dont worry about all this nanny state mumbo jumbo!!!

Cheers

The OTR moniter sites like these and the fine for doing any electrical work whilst not being a licensed electrician is up to $250,000 - and people have and continue to receive these fines - and as someone else has already put, your insurance becomes invalid if you have a fire. Any electrical work carried out will need a compliance certificate and the insurance companies ask you for these. Only licensed electricians can provide these.

Guest Mitchell
The OTR moniter sites like these and the fine for doing any electrical work whilst not being a licensed electrician is up to $250,000 - and people have and continue to receive these fines - and as someone else has already put, your insurance becomes invalid if you have a fire. Any electrical work carried out will need a compliance certificate and the insurance companies ask you for these. Only licensed electricians can provide these.

Bugger. Can't afford to get nicked for anything because of my job, let alone the fine! Any electricians out there who can do it?

Guest kerfumph
The OTR moniter sites like these

:biglaugh:

Can you provide details on someone who has had a fire and had there insurance not pay out because of a changed plug? You need a certificate for work YOU had done. A toaster goes up in flames? Bought it from the OP shop mate. Not that they could trace it to a plug, the investigation would cost more than the claim.

:biglaugh:

Can you provide details on someone who has had a fire and had there insurance not pay out because of a changed plug? You need a certificate for work YOU had done. A toaster goes up in flames? Bought it from the OP shop mate. Not that they could trace it to a plug, the investigation would cost more than the claim.

Didn't think OP shops were allowed to sell electrical items!!!!

The OTR moniter sites like these and the fine for doing any electrical work whilst not being a licensed electrician is up to $250,000

I was doing a job for a friend of a friend of a friend who was telling me that they work for the ATO and was involved with a couple of different agencies Centrelink OCBA etc and used Internet sites like this to target people for tax evasion, centrelink payments, licences, and Public Liability Insurance. But i would not think that they would target someone for changing a plug top over.

Guest Martin and Val

You do not need a Certificate of Compliance (C.O.C) for a portable electrical appliance, only for fixed hard wired work as far as I am told.

I've asked this question to electricians before and they think I'm simply stupid "Saying of course you can change a plug"

However, I must add the company I work for will not allow me to change plugs but they do allow me to test the appliance, work that one out!

Guest Martin and Val

When an Electrician issues you with a C.O.C he also keeps a copy for himself and he sends a copy into the registration body also, as far as I know. This covers his butt should anything go wrong.