• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using webcams

Title
      Liked
      410 times
      Rep

Using webcams

Gaaaahhhh! Please someone help before I throw this ****ing computer through the window! Before we left the UK we bought a couple of Logitech webcams, one for us and one for my mum. I've installed the webcam on both mine and mums laptops and downloaded Windows Live Messenger. But how the bleep do you make a call???? I keep taking "the tour" but it just freezes all the time and doesn't tell my anything useful! Poor mum is desperate to see the kids on the webcam so can someone please tell me what I need to do????? I know I sound like an idiot but I'm 42, of course I don't know how to use technology!
      Liz, Rich, Hattie, Rory and Trev the dog.

Title
      Liked
      181 times
      Rep
      Hi Liz

Panic yourself not, Libby to the rescue!!!

I confess I haven't got a Danny La Rue what happens with msn messenger. My daughter is and remains the only person in our household who can work it.

However, download Skype from the internet. Both of you. It's free and takes minutes.

Once done, you add each other to your contact lists and can either char using text or, as I and my sister do, using the camera. It's great. I have been able to watch my nieces play with toys across the lounge floor, and I love it. It is hard at times though like when I want to give them a cuddle and they are soooooooooooooooooooo far away but on the whole it is good.

I hope this works

Libby

Title
      Liked
      410 times
      Rep
      Thanks Libby, will do it tonight!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Smile Word of warning

Yo Liz dude
      We did exactly the same as you, bought a new laptop and webcam and after much shouting and swearing managed to get it going on Messenger, though am not even trying on this crappy dial up we have here. My Step Father suggested Skype so I downloaded it and was about to use it when a 'compatability' issue came up as, until Service Pack 1 comes out on Vista, Skype will not work with it, but should be good for XP and all before.
      If you need a hand with it tommorrow we can pop round and have a look (as I still have no job:() just give us a call in the morning after nine, unless you want us to pop in on the way back from the schoolrun.
      :)
      Stoo 49,Deb 44,James 18,Adam 16, Sam (dog) 7.TRA accepted Aug 06 SIR accepted Nov 06House sold in a week May 07Approval for visa granted May 07Visa arrived 2nd June 07 Arrived in Adelaide 19th September 07.Found full time employment with Alliance Airlines at the airport 12th June 08.Moved into our first house in Old Reynella 25th July 08 ;)

Title
      Liked
      410 times
      Rep
      Hi Stoo, one step ahead of you love. I have banished Messenger from the laptop and downloaded Skype which seems to be quite straightforward (even for me...). Am waiting for my dear old mother to do the same and hopefully we should be able to see each other by tomorrow. :( about the job front but know you'll come good in the end. Tell Deb will phone her in the morning after nine. Chin up dude.

xxx

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Smile Well done

Yo Liz dude
      Well done, you're a better man than me then you have XP not Vista I presume? Bloody thing is so frustrating especially as the other 3 computers are XP and 98.....gets very confusing.
      Will listen out for your call while watching 'Goodnight Sweetheart' which we've become addicted to and am sure something positive will come along on the job front.....maybe if I stop shaving I could be a stores Father Christmas............Ho Ho bloody Ho !!
      Stoo 49,Deb 44,James 18,Adam 16, Sam (dog) 7.TRA accepted Aug 06 SIR accepted Nov 06House sold in a week May 07Approval for visa granted May 07Visa arrived 2nd June 07 Arrived in Adelaide 19th September 07.Found full time employment with Alliance Airlines at the airport 12th June 08.Moved into our first house in Old Reynella 25th July 08 ;)

Guzzler&Sas
      Quote Originally Posted by deb and stoo View Post
      Yo Liz dude
      Well done, you're a better man than me then you have XP not Vista I presume? Bloody thing is so frustrating especially as the other 3 computers are XP and 98.....gets very confusing.
      Will listen out for your call while watching 'Goodnight Sweetheart' which we've become addicted to and am sure something positive will come along on the job front.....maybe if I stop shaving I could be a stores Father Christmas............Ho Ho bloody Ho !!
      If the PC( no pun intended) campaign get their way you, you might have to drop the Ho Ho Ho and replace it with Ha Ha Ha

Guzzler

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Thumbs down Whoops

Yo Keith dude
      Yeah forgot about that one, as you said we thought we left all that 'PC' bollox behind in the UK but looks like its followed us out. Now if Santa said 'Prostitute, prostitute, prostitute little boy' instead of 'Ho, ho, ho' then I could understand it and anyway thats not the way you spell it is it? Not being up on LA streetgang speak myself

Title
      Liked
      167 times
      Rep
      Yo Stoo we have a new laptop with vista pro and skype works well right now with a logitec cam , have chatted to kieth a few times in oz and had no worries. Cheers Graham

Title
      Liked
      410 times
      Rep
      OK, well I've sort of got it working. Can speak to dear old mother and can see her as well but she can't see me. It's something to do with the outgoing video, what have I done wrong? Anyone? And before you say it, yes I have switched it on!:p

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums