Advice Needed on Email acounts

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

Hi,

Probably not the correct place for this thread but here goes anyway.

We use the 3 mobile broadband dongle thingamabob and although a little temperamental at times it is serving a purpose as we don't wish to have broadband or any contracts installed.

The problem we are having is 'Hotmail' or 'Live' as it is often called now. If it's just me please say so but I'm sick of the way hotmail is taking over my email and keeps changing things around which in my oppinion are not for the better.

When I upload photo's or attachements etc they go to a thing called 'Skydive' which the recipricant downloads as an online document or in the case of photo's can only download for a set period of time.

I simply wish to send docs and photo's as simple attachmets without the email provider dictating how this is seen the other end.

Hot mail in my opinion Hotmail, used to be very good I thought when you could upload multiple photo's and it would resize them for you. But they go and change something that isn't broken.

Who can recommend another email provider that has these good features?

Cheers

Martin

I find gmail excellent.

Hi,

Probably not the correct place for this thread but here goes anyway.

We use the 3 mobile broadband dongle thingamabob and although a little temperamental at times it is serving a purpose as we don't wish to have broadband or any contracts installed.

The problem we are having is 'Hotmail' or 'Live' as it is often called now. If it's just me please say so but I'm sick of the way hotmail is taking over my email and keeps changing things around which in my oppinion are not for the better.

When I upload photo's or attachements etc they go to a thing called 'Skydive' which the recipricant downloads as an online document or in the case of photo's can only download for a set period of time.

I simply wish to send docs and photo's as simple attachmets without the email provider dictating how this is seen the other end.

Hot mail in my opinion Hotmail, used to be very good I thought when you could upload multiple photo's and it would resize them for you. But they go and change something that isn't broken.

Who can recommend another email provider that has these good features?

Cheers

Martin

Guest Martin and Val

Cheers Ferret and Mitchell,

You both suggest gmail and say it's good. Can you tell me what sort of features it offers. I send photo's to family a lot which I suppose most of us on here do, so it it very user friendly and can you upload multiply photo's to one email without having to resize them all?

Can you import your address book from another email provider or do you have to sit there and enter them all individually?

Thanks all advice greatly received

Martin

Guest Mitchell
Cheers Ferret and Mitchell,

You both suggest gmail and say it's good. Can you tell me what sort of features it offers. I send photo's to family a lot which I suppose most of us on here do, so it it very user friendly and can you upload multiply photo's to one email without having to resize them all?

Can you import your address book from another email provider or do you have to sit there and enter them all individually?

Thanks all advice greatly received

Martin

If you go to google then more, you'll find all the stuff google can offer. I would never send photos via email as they have to be compressed too much and can fill up your inbox. Google have an app that you can upload to then people can look and only download if they want to. Personally I share via Facebook mainly now as it reaches more of my family and friends.

I'd go with Gmail (tbh its the only online email I'd use these days). I've never had a problem sending multiple pics. However there is always the compression issue and the upload/download time for either end on email. If people are using online email accounts like Hotmail or Yahoo it can clog up inboxes. However, running into their email inbox on the computer can get around that just it will take a bit of time to download all the images into email inbox.

Hotmail is a pile of steaming poo IMO. Gmail changed online email and left Hotmail, Yahoo and others playing catchup. Also there are always far more security issues with Hotmail than other email set ups.

However as has been suggested you could start to use Facebook for pics and stuff to share with your family. Far nicer and much more interactive. So long as you set your privacy settings and all that its fine and much easier than email.

Personally I'd use Flickr or an online photo account in this day and age. Uploading to email is becoming a thing of the internet past (and not without good reason). People need to register to use Flickr and view pics if you have privacy settings in place. But if its open anyone can view without registering.

Here is a link to one of my Flickr pages so you can see what I am on about. These are a set of pics from our trip back to Adelaide last Easter. Really easy to upload a large number of pics and have them in differing sizes that are good quality. And easy for people to view a set of specific pics or everything I've ever uploaded. You can tag pics, give them a bit of blurb and people can comment also.

Adelaide - Easter 2010 - a set on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Martin and Val

Sorry for the delay, Thanks for the info I think I will take a look at the g mail and see if that suits.

I'll have a look at the Flicker thing as well, cheers 'snifter'

Martin

Guest kangomik

You could try using a blogg, you can up load photo's, i think 8mb at a time on some blogs.

It depends how many piks you send back home really.

We find the blog keeps a history to, spomething to look back on.

Using snail mail and sending memory sticks back is another way, especially when you see what will fit on those micro sd cards. This may encourage rellies to take piks and send them back to you.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur (and technophobe) and still use a Photo Resizer programme on any pics I send via email - Microsoft used to have a powertoy Image Resizer that did it which I use on the other computer, or something called Irfanview which I use on this one. Seems to compress them and make them go faster!