Tumble Dryer??

Nicky

I know this will seem like a really silly question, but should I bring my tumble dryer? I'm bringing my washing machine but leaving everything else but can't decide what to do about my dryer. I hardly use it here but then I've got the radiators to use. I know I'm not going to need it in the summer but how about the winter seeing as you don't really have radiators or is it still warm enough in the daytime to get things dry?

This seems such a petty thing to be asking as I'm sure, considering we're coming over next month, there must be bigger things I should be worrying about!

Nicky

I have been here a couple of months and wished i brought mine. Things dry so quickly that if you dont get it in quick you end up with pieces if cardboard! Also i like fluffy towels.

I am also thinking that seeing what the weather has been like over the last 2 months drying stuff maybe a pain when winter starts. If its not costing you any more to bring it then do so.

Good luck with the packing, i can sympathise xxxx

No, I'm not relishing the thought of moving again. We've moved into a rental a couple of months back when we sold our house so I have had a good sort/clear out and at least when we pack this next time the shipping company will be doing it all! Just busy cleaning kids bikes, etc. Did you take your hoover? Do you know how fussy they are when it comes to cleaning that? Surely it's nearly impossible to have that completely clear of dust?

Guest guest3462

I would definately bring it. I used mine all winter, but had loads of laundry with 2 potty training toddlers. I wouldn't be without one! :-) Good luck with the packing!

No, I'm not relishing the thought of moving again. We've moved into a rental a couple of months back when we sold our house so I have had a good sort/clear out and at least when we pack this next time the shipping company will be doing it all! Just busy cleaning kids bikes, etc. Did you take your hoover? Do you know how fussy they are when it comes to cleaning that? Surely it's nearly impossible to have that completely clear of dust?

I brought my Dyson and just washed out the clear plastic bit and ran the attachments under the tap. Depends how old yours is as they are not too expensive here. We brought everything we could (apart from tumble dryer :arghh:) even a 10ft trampoline (which we now cant fit in the garden :sad:) even ski boots :huh:

Definitely, definitely bring it! Once your blood has thinned a bit you'll be amazed how relatively cold and damp it feels in the winter here sometimes - I have been known to put the kids clothes in the tumble for ten minutes or so in the morning (and their pj's in the evening) just to warm them up a bit - don't tell the OH though, please!!!

We didn't bring our wood burning stove with us (hey, we were coming to Australia, it's warm there all the time isn't it? We won't need a fire!) and boy, how I regret that sometimes!

As for the vacuum cleaner, bring that too, but don't be caught out like we were - our Dyson stopped working so we went out and bought a new upright Hoover - only to realise afterwards that many cleaners have a "heat cut out"and our Dyson just wasn't used to being used in 42 degrees! Once the temps cooled down, it was right as rain again! (which means we now have two, but the Dyson is by far the favourite for vacuuming up spiders!)

Yes, def bring your tumbler.

Also I have a dyson, and found an AMAZING service place here when I needed mine mended. Can really recommend them. Dysons go on for ever cos you can just about replace every part - and can order the parts here just as easily as the UK. I washed mine quite well and it was a really nice excuse to have a clean vac!!

So never throw a dyson away!!!!! :) Mind you mine's purple so I will love it forever!

Right that's decided then, bringing both the tumble dryer and hoover. What a shame though, once it's cleaned I won't be able to do any more hoovering! Thinking about it, I might just do it this weekend then. What a good excuse!! Better get back to cleaning bikes then. Has anyone had any problems with the cleanliness of items? No matter how much we scrub the bike tyres there's always little bits of mud left in the tread. Just how fanatical do we have to be??

Guest moonraker1959

I never owned a tumble dryer,either in Adelaide or in the UK where I now live.You may find you have a carport,or patio where you can hang a line if needed.On the odd occasion I use a large airer,and have had no problems in either country.

An interesting side note to all those who tumble dry towels. It actually causes towels to wear out a lot quicker than if you line dry them. They lose absorbency much quicker (and are never as absorbent after each wash as a line dried towel would be).

I don't mind towels line dried and never tumble dry mine. They are actually more absorbent if line dried. Plus the cost of electric and environmental wotsit factors me for too.

I must admit that although tumble dried towels are nicer as they're fluffier that's not a priority and I usually just line dry mine anyway. I think if mine packed up in the UK I probably wouln't rush out and buy another because we do have radiators. It is useful though if I realise on a school morning that one of the kids shirts is wet in the basket and I can throw it in the dryer for 10 minutes but that isn't really a good enough reason on it's own to have a dryer. It's just not knowing what the weather is like in the winter in Adelaide and therefore the drying conditions. My OH can't believe I'm still going on about it!

I must admit that although tumble dried towels are nicer as they're fluffier that's not a priority and I usually just line dry mine anyway. I think if mine packed up in the UK I probably wouln't rush out and buy another because we do have radiators. It is useful though if I realise on a school morning that one of the kids shirts is wet in the basket and I can throw it in the dryer for 10 minutes but that isn't really a good enough reason on it's own to have a dryer. It's just not knowing what the weather is like in the winter in Adelaide and therefore the drying conditions. My OH can't believe I'm still going on about it!

If you bring it and dont want it you can always sell it (to me lol xx). Best to have more than less i think as you will have enough to deal with without thinking about shopping for things. (Your OH will be pleased with that comment :biglaugh:)

Hi Diane

Thats interesting about the hoover!

We have a dyson and i have been fed up with the way it cuts out then works fine next day - thanks for that I thought it was breaking down

An interesting side note to all those who tumble dry towels. It actually causes towels to wear out a lot quicker than if you line dry them. They lose absorbency much quicker (and are never as absorbent after each wash as a line dried towel would be). .

Isn't that just typical! In the hot weather - when it's easy and quick to dry your towels on the line, they are more absorbent - but you don't need them to be coz the water dries off you on its own anyway in the time it takes to step out of the shower cubicle and pick up a towel! In the damp cold weather, when you get out the shower shivering onto the cold tiles, dripping like mad and could really do with a super absorbent towel - you can't get the towels dried on the line as quick, so you tumble them and they're less absorbent! Story of my life!!!