Council tax in Aus???

JimandBarbinAus

Guest Jo&Phil

Unfortunately the answer to your question is Yes.

Rates (as they're still called here) is based on the State Valuation Offices's formal evaluation of the value of the property taking an average of property sales in the area over a period of time. The reats may also include a payment towards community wastewater management and the like. This means that the rateable value is not necessarily what you would get for it if you sold. So the amount of rates a property owner pays will be different depending on where you live, rather than on the number of people in your house.

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
The owner of the house pays it not the renter.

HI

But you still have to pay water rates most of the time (depends on the tenancy agrement) I've always been unfortunate enought to pay them. Surprisingly they're actually cheaoper here than they were in england (so long as you weren't on a metre in england) and to say its a dryer place, i think its quite cheap really (don't shout at me for saying this please).

Guest Mitchell
HI

But you still have to pay water rates most of the time (depends on the tenancy agrement) I've always been unfortunate enought to pay them. Surprisingly they're actually cheaoper here than they were in england (so long as you weren't on a metre in england) and to say its a dryer place, i think its quite cheap really (don't shout at me for saying this please).

Worth checking the details of places offered for rent. Mine includes all water charges as the landlord wants to ensure I water the grass.

Guest kangomik
HI

Incorrect

You only pay for excess usage........... now i agree this original limit may be small, and is a pain in the backside when they have a lovely garden and part of the lease stipulates that it must be watered and kept alive.

I have a lovely friend who's landlords waived this in the contract, waived all water usage due to the garden and the pool. They get great showers LOL

Guest tinkham_lee
Incorrect

You only pay for excess usage........... now i agree this original limit may be small, and is a pain in the backside when they have a lovely garden and part of the lease stipulates that it must be watered and kept alive.

sorry, that's not true

A lot of landlords are now making tenants pay for all the water usage. We have always paid the water usage,

Landlords must pay the sewerage fees and service charges.

• 3 weeks later...

how much do you have to pay for water if your not renting and you own your house? How much do you have to pay for Gas usage? Can you drink water from the taps? or do you have to buy it from the shops? thanks

@Pie - I pay about $150/quarter for water (2 of us who probably do a bit more laundry than is average for 2 people and both shower twice a day). Water from the tap is safe but I was pretty shocked at the taste when I first moved here!! You can get a Puratap fitted which is a separate filter tap on your sink (lots of people have this, improves the taste a lot) or obviously buy from the supermarket.