Household paints?

Guest D&L

Hi All

As we're in the process of packing the house up, I keep coming up with loads of questions and no-where other than PIA to find out the answers!

Anyway, the question is - are household/furniture paints readily available in Adelaide? I'm not just after emulsion and gloss, but the 'newer' paint finishes like eggshell etc in the shabby chic colours, think Farrow & Ball, Laura Ashley etc. The reason being that I like getting old furniture and painting it up to give it a new lease of life/ exactly how I want it. I already have a few 'projects' coming with me, it's just I don't know how much paint I'll need to bring (if any) to complete them.

If it's not readily available, I'll just buy lots before we come and not mention it to DH.....;)

Many thanks

Hi...i have been doing up some old furniture here in adelaide....things are slightly different here in regards to paint..they dont have much ready made paint here on the shelf..and the wording on the tin is a bit different..most of the tins on the shelf are white paint..if your after eggshell...not worded that way..it's called low sheen..same thing though..Bunnings DIY store..you pick your colour from the choice cards(so many to pick ) then you go to the mixing section and they mix it there and then for you in any size you require it's a fab service..similar to the paint match service as B&Q/Homebase..average 2L..$34.00 as for old furniture to restore..garage sales probably your best bet..these are every where around the suburbs..keep your eyes peeled..all the best with it..

Ooooh, thanks, me123! I already have a stash of projects here to bring with me (existing ones and ''fill the container'' gone mad!), it's been hard getting them done as the weather's been pants. I can't wait for it to be just mild and dry enough to get cracking!

Thanks for the reassurance :) $34 sounds pretty reasonable to me - I think I've paid the equivalent here for a 750ml tub! :shocked:

another bit of info for you..a store called spotlight ...is brilliant..they are dotted all over..and if your the creative type like me ..you will find this shop heaven..have a look at the website..dont know how to add links so just google it...

Oh no! My DH isn't going to be best pleased!!! I'll just have to point out the shiny new bike he's just bought.....:biglaugh:

I'm not that creative, although I like 'making' things, I sadly lack much creativity :sad:

Just going to go and have a googly session....

:notworthy:

We were not allowd any paint in the container. Plenty here though, also the 'Trade' outlets such as Solver and Dulux. You should have no trouble getting something you need :cute:

I have a slight problem in that I've already started painting a project (got rained off so unable to complete it), and I've actually mixed the paint myself so I'm not going to be able to match the paint if I leave the half tub. I'll speak to my shipping company, and if they have a ban on all paints, I'll see about bringing it in my hold luggage. I can't bear the thought of repainting the whole thing - it took me ages as it's so fiddly!