Chimney work

Guest Aussie pat

Guest Aussie pat

We have had to rescue a possum that fell down our chimney yesterday by smashing thru the cement fire back behind the grate to access the void behind it.

Has anyone used a fireplace restoration person they are happy to recommend? We also need to find someone to fit the chimney with a device to stop anything else falling down it. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. It's frustrating as we knew who to contact in the UK but are at a loss over here and have been ripped off at times as we don't always know who to ask.

We live in the eastern suburbs closer to town. The very relieved possum is now back in a tree somewhere thank goodness. It had the sweetest looking face and was very scared so I don't regret doing the damage to save it from a very slow death. Besides my children would never have forgiven me.

Guest Guest5035

Do you use the fireplace?? Look at your neighbours houses and see if you can see what they have done, ask them.

We use ours in the winter and we used to get birds dropping down in the Summer, so i bought some chicken wire mesh, climbed on the roof and placed it around the chimney top.

Stevo

Guest Aussie pat

Thanks Stevo, yes we do use our fireplaces in winter. I have contacted Stepney Salvage and they have put us on to someone. The whole fireback needs to be replaced as I had to smash it up to get into the space behind. I realise it will cost a bit to cover the chimneys as well.

I don't regret doing the right thing and noted that on the news last night they reported that the MFS had removed pavers and smashed thru a pipe to save a kitten that got stuck near some shops at Gepps Cross. Apparently shoppers could hear it crying. That's 2 feel good stories to cheer everyone up, just hope they can do the same for lots of people in NZ. Fingers crossed.