Isofix - a bit of news on the subject

snifter

Further to my posts about lack of rear facing till 4 and Isofix I sent off a great many emails to various companies and organisations in Australia.

Here is what I had by way of reply from Britax recently. I've left out the bulk of the text as that was regarding rear facing but the paragraph I am pasting is about Isofix.

The federal government have recently determined the suitability of ISOFIX fitting in vehicles which now allows Standards Australia to amend the Australian standard to detail the requirements of ISOFIX. Britax Australia supports ISOFIX and is waiting for the Australian Standard to change. In the meantime, we are unable to sell child restraints that do not meet the Australian Standards and consumer risk a traffic infringement if they do not use child restraints meeting the Australian standard.

Should you wish to discuss this further our Technical Director is happy to discuss the matter with you.

So, Isofix is on the way, but it could be another couple of years, perhaps even longer. But Britax are awaiting it and so I can at least rest on that one. It will happen when it happens.

I've also enquired at length about rear facing till 18kg and while Britax Aus have no plans to release a rear facing seat this year I kind of get the feeling it is something they will look in to. They are obviously aware of the demand, however small.

But yes, Isofix :)