Produce co-op in Adelaide?

suzer

I used to belong to a fruit & veg co-op back home, where I'd pay $20 a week for a big box of produce, which varied week to week, but had some standard repeats. Now I know this would cost more in Adelaide, but am wondering if anyone knows of anything. I ordered & picked up from the local health food store back then.

• 3 months later...

I haven't heard of anything like that, but there is a farmer's market held on sunday in the Showgrounds.

Also the central market is excellent value. On a Saturday from around 1pm the stall owners bag up lots of their produce and sell for a $1 per lot. It's really worth going there. Some of the food stalls like the Russian one that sells Piroshkis reduce everything to $1 at the end of the day. The central market is between Gouger and Grote st at the Victoria Square end. It's openTues & Thurs til 6ish, Fri til 9pm and Sat til 3. my fav shop is The Smelly Cheese shop and Feast which sells pricey but really good meat. China town is next door with excellent food halls, where a good feed can be had for not much.

On Sunday there is also the Garden island produce and fish market out at Port Adelaide. The fish has usually been caught that night so you want to get down there early.

Rachel

Guest soggy
I haven't heard of anything like that, but there is a farmer's market held on sunday in the Showgrounds.

Also the central market is excellent value. On a Saturday from around 1pm the stall owners bag up lots of their produce and sell for a $1 per lot. It's really worth going there. Some of the food stalls like the Russian one that sells Piroshkis reduce everything to $1 at the end of the day. The central market is between Gouger and Grote st at the Victoria Square end. It's openTues & Thurs til 6ish, Fri til 9pm and Sat til 3. my fav shop is The Smelly Cheese shop and Feast which sells pricey but really good meat. China town is next door with excellent food halls, where a good feed can be had for not much.

On Sunday there is also the Garden island produce and fish market out at Port Adelaide. The fish has usually been caught that night so you want to get down there early.

Rachel

Hi, where is the showgrounds, I have been going to the market at Gepps Cross on a Sunday morning, lots of fruit and veg stalls there, I would say it is a little less than half the price of most supermarkets.

Simon

The showgrounds are on Goodwood Rd at Wayville. Go down Anzac Highway , turn right at Hungry Jacks onto Leader st. This goes past the top of the Showgrounds and onto Goodwood Rd. The Royal show is held there in September, lasting a week. Cattle, Pigs, sheep, Horses are judged along with cakes etc. It's like a county show I guess.

If you live near me, there is a great fruit n veg shop called Francos in Forbes shopping centre on Marion Rd. This shop puts large bins of 2nds out the front. They are seconds as in they might be small apples, need to eat soon mangos, they had strawbs there for 99c a punnet yesterday. I have seen whole trays of mangos there for $10, towards the end of the season. They are open 7 days a week. There is also a post office here and the queue is never big unlike at Castle Plaza in Edwardstown.

Worth a look if you live in the area.

Rachel

Guest zx6roo

I get mine from Wolworthes. $20 for a big box of whatever they have left over. You have to ask for it because you'll find that they mainly give to animal rehabbers rather than the general public.

I remember hearding that one of the stalls in the central markets does this too.