Price of Bananas !!

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Hi

Went to Coles yesterday and me and an old bloke were discussing the price of bananas (I don't get out much!!) The 100% increase in less than a week is frightening 9.99 a kilo the fruit shop opposite was 12.99! Broccoli, cabbage, cauli all exhorbitant too.:shocked:

We have no car yet so I have to rely on public transport - Is it worth going to Central market to get veg & fruit - or are prices much the same. Is'nt there somewhere in Port Adelaide?

Any help would be appreciated. Talk about 5 a day - can't afford one a day (lols)

Guest Guest5035

Woolies had them at $13 a kilo, people were buying them !!!!! Its called supply and demand. CM would be good, just remember the bags will be heavy to carry on the bus.

Stevo

Guest lastboyscout

Heres a nice little tip for you MadTom, get up nice and early, buddy up with someone and get to Gepps Cross Market at about 6am on Sunday mornings, take a torch with you and plenty of shopping bags and get yourself shed loads of fruit and veg from there ;)

Loads of cheap fruit and veg and no skimping on quality either, but be prepared, its very busy, even at that time of morning on a Sunday :D

Guest fatman
Hi

Went to Coles yesterday and me and an old bloke were discussing the price of bananas (I don't get out much!!) The 100% increase in less than a week is frightening 9.99 a kilo the fruit shop opposite was 12.99! Broccoli, cabbage, cauli all exhorbitant too.:shocked:

We have no car yet so I have to rely on public transport - Is it worth going to Central market to get veg & fruit - or are prices much the same. Is'nt there somewhere in Port Adelaide?

Any help would be appreciated. Talk about 5 a day - can't afford one a day (lols)

Hello!! :goofy:

Blimey!!! price of bananas!! scary stuff!! well, you will just have to settle for HALF a banana each for the meantime! ... why is fruit/veg so expensive over there!!?? ... had to laugh at the "talk abt five a day... can't afford one a day" ha ha ha...

Keep smiling though!

Have a good weekend!

Price Family (FREEZING OUR ARSES OFF IN SCOTLAND!! :arghh:)

It's not always so expensive a few weeks ago they were round about $3-$5 a kilo it depends on supply and of course the season. They have season here with their fruit and veg and the price is reflected in the store. You can find the bargains at the fruit marts etc

Also once you have brought a place get some fruit trees :-)

It was the same after Cyclone Larry who was a bit of a lad and knocked over a large part of QLDs Banana trees. It wont last for more than a year, in the mean time eat other fruit, there is plenty of local stuff and if you find a fruit n veg shop, they are often cheaper than the big supermarkets like Coles n Woolies.

Guest Nick11

That's nothing. When we arrived here in june 2007 they were nearly $20 a kilo. On my first visit to Woolies..fresh off the plane.. I went shopping and got a loads of fruit and veg etc..at the checkout the girl said ..are you sure you want these bananas..I saw the price and was gobsmacked!!! Needless to say they went back on the shelf. Apparently the bad weather drove up the prices then. I spent my first day in oz trying to work out why they were so expensive!!!!!!

OOOh deja vu! Here you are: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/13476-banana-prices-whats-all-about.html

Peaches are good value at the moment, and the Adelaide Hills apples will soon hit the market and bring apple prices down too! The BBC drama should be remade here and changed from "Oranges are not the Only Fruit" to "Bananas are not the Only Fruit"