What's going on with my washing?

Nicky

Without sounding like that silly woman off the even more silly tv ad, how can I get my whites white! Since we've been here (which is only 6 weeks!) all my whites are now grey/white and I've either manged to shrink pretty much everything or they're like cardboard. What's going on?? In the UK I didn't bother with fabric conditioner as I found it didn't really make much difference as everything still remained soft anyway and my whites were always white. I remember shrinking one woollen jumper once, but I know that was my fault. I'm doing my washing exactly the same here, so what's going on?? Does anyone else have these problems?

Try a scoop of Nappisan (sp?) in with your washng powder Nicky! Seems to do the trick. Plus my husband always tells me off for drying darker clothes in the full sun - lots of places will have an undercover line, or hang them in the shade - or you'll get fading! (spoken with my true Stepford Wives voice on!!)

Guest Guest5035

Washing not being one of my duties, lol, wondering if it could be the quality of the water, i know years ago Adelaides water was the worst in Australia and i see you live out at Mount Barker?? Just a thought..

Stevo

Try a scoop of Nappisan (sp?) in with your washng powder Nicky! Seems to do the trick. Plus my husband always tells me off for drying darker clothes in the full sun - lots of places will have an undercover line, or hang them in the shade - or you'll get fading! (spoken with my true Stepford Wives voice on!!)

Thanks Diane. I imagine that's going to help with the colour and the softness, but why's it all shrinking? We're all going to have to go on diets if this continues!! I must confess I do tend to put it out in the morning and leave it out all day - still got that UK mentality as I'm sure you can remember that's what you have to do to get it dry!

I would also recommend drying everything in the shade as clothes do become card-board like and faded in the harsh Aussie sun.

Napisan is good too or you can add an equal quantity of washing grade bicarbonate of soda (think it's called washing soda and is located in the laundry product aisle in most supermarkets) to your regular concentrated powder which makes it last longer and adds extra softness to your clothes.

Also another tip - try not to leave washing out overnight but if you do always shake it before you fold as white tip spiders may have quickly made a home in your washing. A good shake is all it takes to send the little critters packing.

Hope this helps.

:)

Washing not being one of my duties, lol, wondering if it could be the quality of the water, i know years ago Adelaides water was the worst in Australia and i see you live out at Mount Barker?? Just a thought..

Stevo

Yeah, I've heard it's worse at Mount Barker. We're not actually there yet though! Going out in a couple of weeks time.

Guest Lisado

So its not just us!

Even my mother in law commented on this when she was here. I said it drives me mad and have tried everything. Now I add sard to every wash and also bought sard soap and use that before I wash clothes

Some of our things have shrunk and also things seem to stain

Lisa

Guest ninaperks

We live in the Adelaide Hills and I've noticed since moving there my whites don't come out as white as I'd like. I've started adding Napisan into each wash which helps. Do you wash on hot/cold or just cold?

Can't help re the shrinking, unless your machine's thermostat has gone wrong? If it is hot and cold water inlet, maybe just use it on cold?

As for getting the whites white, I'd say it's far easier here! Cos hanging them out in the sun will even bleach stains off them, without needing to add anything else to the wash. Hang coloureds either in the shade, or inside out. I always put the things I want bleached on the outside line of a hills hoist, also to protect the other stuff.

Hanging out at night under shelter (car port ) may be a better option if you need to wash in the week and are at work but yes the shaking to check for little visitors is definitely important! Also clear out any spiders webs near where you hang your washing regularly.

Stiff as a board will be because the washing's been out in the sun too long - so make sure you get it in when it's dry rather than leaving it out all day.

White vinegar in the wash as a softener is good for clothes and towels.

Well on the strength of what you've all said I've been and got some washing soda today - I'll see what difference that makes. I hadn't considered that the thermostat might have something to do with my clothes shrinking. We're in a furnished rental still at the moment so won't know the answer to that one until my machine arrives, hopefully in a few weeks. Trial and error I suppose.

Guest moonraker1959

I had a top loader when I lived in SA(front loaders were'nt around then in Oz!)but I always washed my clothes in cold water,and so did all my family and friends from what I remember!I even had my machine hooked up to the rain water tank to use up the excess during winter!:cute:As for whites?My kids had terry towelling nappies,and I never used bleach or any other whitener.Used to just soak them in some washing powder overnight and wash as normal.A good tip especially during the warmer months is(if you can)hang out your washing,and check soon after if its dry.the longer you leave it out the harder it will be to iron.

Yes my nappies have never been whiter than when I started hanging them out here...

If it's a rental washing machine, that may explain it. Wash on cold if it's a top loader, with a powder that says it's good for cold. Much more of a cold water washing culture here. Top loaders don't seem to have temp regulated in the same way. And they are disastrously harsh on clothes too... (though much quicker!).

• 2 weeks later...

Stevo

Is that why Wynn Vale smells?

If clothes are shrinking, as others say, wash in cold, and get the correct powder. I have been converted, cold does work, and also cheaper to run.

You also only need to use half the powder it says on the box.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/haven/the-pitfalls-of-too-much-laundry-detergent-and-how-to-make-sure-you-re-not-overdoing-it-1146849

I'm not sure about the 'right' powder but as suggested I am putting in half powder and half washing soda which seems to make a vast improvement on softness - clothes no longer like sandpaper. I've also started doing cold washes and the shrinnkage has stopped too! :-)

If only everything else was so easy to sort!!