Heating options

Guest markmet

Guest markmet

Hi

Im still looking into the best and most economical heating. Would it be cheaper just to run a couple of oil filled heaters in the kids rooms or is it economical to have reverse cycle heating. Does anyone know the cost of having reverse cycle fitted and do you get huge electricity bills since having it. Any useful info would be most helpful. Nights and mornings are getting rather chilly now and it aint even winter yet. We have a gas fire in living room and vulcan heater at the top of the stairs (2 storey) but the rest of the house is freezing. Thanks in advance.

Chris

As far as I am aware reverse cycle heating is one of the most expensive options. I think the individual reverse cycle heaters in each room are more economical because you only heat the rooms you are in.

Whatever heating you have here, you can't match the feeling of central heating from the UK so it's really a case of getting used to a different lifestyle. I still want to wear only 1 layer in the house in winter, but am learning to get used to layering up and basically dealing with the fact the house can only be heated in the rooms with heaters.

Look into insulation, draught exclusion etc also. I have heard that central heating is being installed in houses here, also double glazing. Expensive to install and query whether youd get your money back on either (except the windows would make summer more bearable) but I think that they are now being put in in new developments like the more sustainable living places.

Once the reverse cycle aircons are installed in a room, they are one of the cheapest, most economical ways of heating electrically, they use 25-50% the electricity of an oil-filled or fan electric heater, and are far more effective at heating a whole room. In fact 2-4 individual aircon units can heat a whole house if they are placed strategically and doors opened and closed appropriately. So that would be a running cost equivalent to a single fan heater. They are expensive to put in, but if electricity is your only heating option, they would pay off in the long term.

Guest guest4504

We had one in a previous house, gave 7 kwh output. ran 6 rads with a good heat also the water tank. From my experience these are fantastic and you can fill them up before you go to bed, turn the air inlet down so they burn slower and they will burn well into the night for 5 Hours +.

Guest moonraker1959

I'm with Sallyh,why not just add a few more layers of clothing?Most of my family/friends in Adelaide have one fire in the lounge and thats it!You will get used to it.:cute:

Why get used to it?.........If your used to comfort why not have it. We dont expect to walk around in winter with t shirts on , but do like to wake up in a bit of warmth and have heating when we want. Best 4k we spent was on gas ducted heating , controllable and quick heating and cheap compared to electric. i believe its a bit cheaper now as its more popular. $ 750 rebate coming end of month also.

Use our heating far more than air con............

Our ducted reverse cycle aircon can be controlled in each room so no need to have all rooms same temp. We also had double glazing and extra insulation as extras on build. And some internal doors/sliders to separate formal lounge and bedroom corridor from large open plan living area. All helps to make it more economical to run.

Mind you we are in UK at the mo and rent it out!!!!!!

Why get used to it?.........If your used to comfort why not have it. We dont expect to walk around in winter with t shirts on , but do like to wake up in a bit of warmth and have heating when we want. Best 4k we spent was on gas ducted heating , controllable and quick heating and cheap compared to electric. i believe its a bit cheaper now as its more popular. $ 750 rebate coming end of month also.

Use our heating far more than air con............

I agree with all of wanting to have comfort in the mornings, etcetcetc. I don't expect to wear summer clothes indoors either. But there are some things that are slightly different about Aussie culture that are subtle differences, that we sometimes have to get used to. :)

Those people going on about putting more layers on obviously don't have circulation problems...

;)

Or maybe they are living in rented accommodation / keeping bills down / thinking of the environment / don't have the outlay required against how long it takes for these things to "just paid for itself"... to quote a quote. Said with a smile on my face!

My elderly grandparent inlaws have all those problems - circulation problems, and all the rest that goes with being in their 80s. They don't have aircon and basically have to heat one room in winter and use electric blankets and heaters in their bedrooms. It's what they are used to.

I do think that the layers thing is a valid point but I also said I don't like it either!!! Just that we aren't in a position of being able to match our warm house in the UK. But I really don't understand why Australian houses are, in the main, (except for the ones being built now with better specs!) not insulated well. Makes sense in summer as well as in winter!

;)

Or maybe they are living in rented accommodation / keeping bills down / thinking of the environment / don't have the outlay required against how long it takes for these things to "just paid for itself"... to quote a quote. Said with a smile on my face!

I agree, it's expensive to get these things installed, but it's not all that expensive to install insulation in a house as it's being built, yet most houses in australia are still being built impossible to heat (somewhat confusing considering the government is trying to reduce carbon emission). Fine, put on an extra layer to cope with the situation as it is, but does that mean you can't hope building regulations might change things for the future?

The rental we're in at the moment, the kitchen/living area didn't get above 13deg for three months last winter (despite trying to heat it), and when there's no blood circulating in your feet, putting extra socks on ain't going to help. Also, you're not supposed to use electric blankets when you've got circulation issues, because you can't feel when they're too hot (not that this stops me...)

Just because a house is insulated doesn't mean you have to heat the whole thing. I've never been one to keep the heating on all day in the whole house, have always just heated the room I'm currently in (to keep bills down and environment etc), the only difference was that in the UK it was physically possible to heat the room I was in such that with two pairs of socks, ugg-boots and an extra jumper I could actually still feel my toes and not fall over every time I tried to stand up.

Hopefully the next place (bring on June!) we're in will be somewhat easier to heat. I know that the ridiculous design of our current place is main reason I get so worked up about this. I like to be able to feel my toes occasionally ;)

edit to add: oh and the same goes for cooling, insulation works both ways... Not I use aircon much (think it only got turned on twice this year, and that's because OH's laptop was overheating as he played games on it...), and I really wish they'd turn the thermostat up at work in the summer too. Shouldn't need to be wearing two jumpers at my desk when it's 40deg outside.

Incidentally, this is in no way aimed at anyone in particular, just general ranting. Feel better now :cute:

I'm glad you mentioned being freezing cold in summer!!!! When I first met DH and we came to Australia a few times before we had children I was constantly trying to find polite ways of asking them to turn the aircon (ducted evap cooling) either off or thermostat up. I don't understand the need to turn inside into a fridge instead of simply making it a bit more bearable - there's a difference isn't there???!! PLus some people say that the constant change in temp - inside cool house, walking outside to car, cooling car, getting out and getting hot again... makes people ill. Not sure but I can't stand that yo-yo in temperature!!!

Totally agree that much of the building habit is totally wrong, but I think that there are developments now trying to change that (like Lochiel Park - try and get a rental place there!!!!). But yes I think designing your own house is the ideal and definitely taking this into account if one has the choice. Our last house was really draughty, and am already feeling the difference having moved into another house (still rental) but much better in terms of doors and windows that fit (last one had louvered windows on toilet and laundry that didn't close -they were just fixed open!!!). I have to say carpets help it feel warmer too. 2 years in our old place was enough.

Guest nakigirl

Sounds exactly like the houses in New Zealand. We have been here six years and the kiwis are only just cottoning on to the fact that they don't live on a tropical island. The houses here are appalling, similar to living in a garden shed. They are only just realising that insulation is necessary. We also suffer from high humidity here but not in the context of a hot climate. Humidity can be 70% even in winter months making houses seem damp and even colder. No wonder there is so many people with asthma.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Im still looking into the best and most economical heating. Would it be cheaper just to run a couple of oil filled heaters in the kids rooms or is it economical to have reverse cycle heating. Does anyone know the cost of having reverse cycle fitted and do you get huge electricity bills since having it. Any useful info would be most helpful. Nights and mornings are getting rather chilly now and it aint even winter yet. We have a gas fire in living room and vulcan heater at the top of the stairs (2 storey) but the rest of the house is freezing. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi

Over here in UK, I,ve fitted a multi split Daikin A/C in a mates house (reverse cycle). He run 4 individual indoor units from a single out door unit each controled from there own controler, heats/cools which room he wants at any time. He has not said that it costs that much to run. In heating you do get the extra heat from the running compressor KW and reuse that heat. But in cooling you dump the heat as hot air to out side.