Local Wildlife

Guest colette

Ooh she's a beaut!

Yep, it's a type of Golden Orb Weaver (so named because the webs of the adults have a yellow colour to them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila_edulis

They're not aggressive, they stay in their webs and are not going to jump out at you. Though they may bite if you walk straight into them their venom isn't that potent (they rely on the web to trap their prey), might swell up a bit and be painful, but it's not going to kill you, so if you don't die of a heart attack from walking into the web, you'll be fine...

Aww, just read this bit on that Wikipedia site "The species name edulis means "edible" in Latin. While it is not entirely clear why this particular species is considered edible, it is known that several Nephila species are considered a delicacy in New Guinea, where they are plucked by the legs from their webs and lightly roasted over an open fire" and now I'm feeling all sorry for the poor wee thing!

Remind me not to accept any dinner invites from Papuans!

Guest moshi1

why is it since we have started applying for our visa all i have seen is spider pics in adelaide!!!!

i hate spiders and this is making me worried. Please someone in adelaide with the same fear tell me that its not that bad !

Guest colette

We have lived here for 3 years and I was terrified of spiders but haven't seen many indoors since I have been here. So long as you spray you should be okay. The photo I took was outdoors. I don't do any gardening here though.

Cheers

Colette

why is it since we have started applying for our visa all i have seen is spider pics in adelaide!!!!

i hate spiders and this is making me worried. Please someone in adelaide with the same fear tell me that its not that bad !

Guest helene73

I am with you hate the dam things the big ones here are bad enough!!! But these things in oz are mutant beasts, saw a huge one in Perth and s**t myself, I took a touch everywhere and would check the bed in and under and any nooks and crannies for them. Funny thing is I meet a red back and was fine with it!!! It's just the big ones I am scared of :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk