Huge Water Bill!!!

Guest Sarah2110

Guest Sarah2110

Hi, we are in a rental and have just received our first water bill. It is only for 3 months but it seems really high. Can anyone tell me what on average they should be, we do have a pool, but I have asked a couple of others and their bill is alot smaller. Thanks!! :shocked:

Hi, we are in a rental and have just received our first water bill. It is only for 3 months but it seems really high. Can anyone tell me what on average they should be, we do have a pool, but I have asked a couple of others and their bill is alot smaller. Thanks!! :shocked:

Ours varied in our rental.. we generally got a bill following an inspection. we filled up an above ground round pool which was 10 foot round & that bill was $350.

Other bills averaged at approx $200.

Check your rental agreement as it should say what you should be charged for.. we didnt pay for supply, only usage.

Guest Nick11

How much is big? We own a rental property. We pay for the sevices and the tenant pays for the water usage. Last bill we had ..the tenants had used 112 kl of water which equated to $235. They were struggling to pay it..so we accepted the payment in installments.

Guest SA Great

My last water bill was for $1041 for a quarter!! And we dont have a pool. Did some investigating and found we had a leak at one of the solenoids on the watering system.

Guest SA Great

well i suppose its not their fault that my solenoid was leaking so i just paid it. have turned off the watering system now and have till about November to fix it.

Guest Adelaide_bound
We are self sufficient with a 9000 litre and a 12000 litre water tank. All powered by solar. Our water bills are $50 a quarter and that includes the River Murray Levy.

This is going to make me sound thick, so sorry about that but I am blonde! And sorry for about 100000 questions, but we are really interested with self sufficiency etc

Are the tanks filled with rain water, bore hole, mixture of both or something completely different? Did you pop them in, or where they already there - if you put them in would you mind sharing rough costings? Do you need planning permission for such things (do they have planning permission even in Aus? We haven't looked into that sort of thing at all yet....)

Sorry again for being so nosey, but its something important to us and a bit of a dream :D

Thank you to everyone else saying about water bill costs - helpful info for the spreadsheet!

• 2 weeks later...

Our water bills for the houses averages around $100 per month but that does include the other charges and not just the water portion.

I have a pool but have three water tanks with a capacity of 3000 litres, 2500 litres and the latest one 5400 litres. This has drastically reduced the bill compared to last year but this years summer was a non event so it didn't evaporate in the heatwaves that never happened!

The water rebates are set to end at the end of this month. You can get up to $1000 from SA water to plumb a tank of above 1000 litres into your toilet, and laundry. A 5000 litre tank plus pump plus plumbers charge will be around $1000 so it's free until the end of this month.

You also get $200 back from SA water for buying a stand alone rainwater tank in addition to the above plumbed in tank.

Another important thing to remember is that the water charges are a combination of water usage and water treatment. If you use the water from the mains to fill pools or watyer gardens they still bill you as though it had gone through the drains and had to be processed by them. Water is also charged for on a sliding scale. The more you use the more you pay for the next litre you use! Water tanks reduce your usage and stop you from reaching the highest charge rate!

Tamara