suitcases

Guest pixie7

Guest pixie7

Hi guys just starting to look at buying some suitcases. Does 40kg each translate to 2 large suitcases roughly (i know its what you put in them! But mostly clothes etc) any one know of any lightweight cases? Also for hand luggage 1 piece maybe a holdall or small suitcase- 15 or 20 kg??

Thanks

IIRC handluggage generally isn't allowed to be more than 7kg. Most airlines give you the dimensions and weight limits allowed for luggage so check with the airline website you are flying with.

Also the 40kg weight allowance. If you are flying with one airline all the way through and know you are entitled to 40kg (dependant on visa type etc) then fair enough. But if you are changing airlines or transferrring for a domestic flight (like Melbourne-Adelaide) check the other carrier won't charge you for the excess over their own weight limit.

We tend to use holdalls over suitcases. I bought a huge one from Next last year and it fitted about 20kg in it fine. Flying out it was about 14kg and coming back was almost 20kg.

If you are buying new when you look at them online you'll see the weight of the cases/holdalls and dimensions so you can work out what you'll need. FWIW the giant cases often exceed the dimensions of some airlines and I'd avoid those as they are impossible to lift and move round with any kind of ease.

Have a look at Tripp stuff. They often discount some of their lines and you can buy from a range of styles and so on to suit your needs. They have a sale on atm http://www.tripp.co.uk/

For example, this range http://www.tripp.co.uk/collection/express-palm-leaf/4397999/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1 you could get a large suitcase and a handluggage one and be fine to fly. Or two large and one small. Don't get the mid sized one, won't be big enough for 20kg.

Also this duffle, has a 95kg capacity and weighs 2.5kgs http://www.tripp.co.uk/products/tripp-black-essentials-large-wheel-duffle/927/ That sort of thing is always my preference over suitcases.

Then this for carry on handluggage http://www.tripp.co.uk/products/tripp-navy-vacation-carry-on-suitcase/1432/ but bear in mind the weight of it is more than the duffle bag! I tend to go for canvas type holdall for a carry on for that very reason. Can be squished a bit more and also they don't weigh much to begin with.

Second that, we had one hard suitcase where we put anything fragile. Then bought strong nylon holdalls as they are much lighter and hold loads. The really lightweight suitcases are very expensive. Airlines do like like any one case or bag to weigh over 32Kg and TBH even that would be heavy to handle and get in and out of a car boot anyway. Double check the allowances take you right through to your destination. We found out that our last leg from Sydney to Adelaide had less allowance even though we booked right through!!

Carry your valuables and paperwork with you on the plane.

Guest loopylisa

I used this for my hand luggage, when I went over for easter!! But carrying it over on one shoulder got pretty heavy so im swapping for a backpack and it is in my shipping crate currently but it functions great as a holdall for the beach and you can be a proud and stylish Brit <3 <3 <3

88961097_m1.jpg

That tripp site is amazing Id buy one for me if I didnt just buy a new one this year. I brought the largest size they had in the Clarks Factory store, if you're in the southwest and it is near its worth a visit. That fit 21kg in it no problemo and it still had the room to expand. Id reccomend the brightest boldest suitcase you can get, it really helped when spotting it on the carousel, I could see it across the hall, ran, lifted it off and I was out the customs channel and homeward bound :)

98953699_m1.jpg

When we moved over I bought 45 of these (1 each). They were very light, very very strong and massive. Downside, if any, is that they can be a pig to carry by the handles as they are long - fine with shoulder straps though. They get used all the time now we are here and can be squashed to fit in a car whereas a suitcase can't. I was very pleased with the purchase.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Expedition-90-Litre-Cargo-Bag-Heavy-Duty-PVC-/320731497808?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&hash=item4aad164550#ht_1907wt_907

we are looking for cases at moment, think the o/h looking at holdalls. also checked on singapore site sent them an e mail had nice reply as long as you have an unstamped visa or unvalidated visa you are entiteled to the 40k, but you only allowed to put 32k in anyone case due to health and saftey regs,