Cost of groceries: Aus vs UK

soo_the_panda

So I have spent the last ten minutes doing possibly the most loser-ish thing I have done in a long time and felt the need to share. After keeping my grocery receipts from my weekly shop yesterday, I did a comparison shop on tesco.com... now I must add I wouldn't have often shopped in Tesco in the UK, nor do I often to the majority of my groceries in Woolworths here (most often the majority of fresh food is from Wayville Farmers Markets or the Central Markets).

When family/friends come over from the UK they often comment that groceries cost a lot more here... I often agree especially for things like toiletries, cat food etc.. but then in my opinion fresh meat, fish, fruit and veggies are often more reasonable here (and better quality IMO).

So - for a typical-ish week's shop for two of us (plus kitten!) we spent $112 in Woolworths Glenelg... this on tesco.com would have cost 62 pounds... so $92 with today's exchange rate.

Interested to hear anyone else's opinions of comparative cost of living re groceries etc...

Guest bishop3912

Hi soo_the_panda - its great to see that Im not the only sad one that done this lol. A couple of weeks after we arrived I was amazed at how much shopping was costing us, I shop around for all the deals and do the markets for fruit/veg and wholesaler butchers for meat. I did comparisons over a couple of weeks and found that Coles v Tesco was coming in between $40-$60 dearer here in Oz (1.5 exchange rate). We are a family of 6 (2 adults & 4 kids). Be good to see others comparisons just out of interest lol. I know its a hard one to compare as everyone buys different stuff. Regards Bishop3912

Guest loopylisa

For psychologists a newly qualfied in the UK is a NHS band 7(about £35k), In oz they are paying equiv £48k!!! Its the same for other mental health positions I have come across and I have recently applied for a job which pays £10k more £35 vs £25 than the exact same job of this level in the UK. I guess I should just count myself lucky!

Guest bishop3912

Thats good that your profession is higher in Oz Loopylisa. We came here knowing the salary was lower for OH, but we also know other peeps whose salaries are lower over here compared to UK, in some cases not by much but still lower. The OP thread was just to find out other peoples comparisons on their shopping bills/cost of living, we all know living in Oz shopping is dearer and that sacrifices have to be made and no wastage etc etc, threads like this, hearing others opinions on their weekly shopping etc etc I feel are informative (note to self, I must get out more :wacko:

Guest bishop3912

Scooterdan, when I done my comparison a few months ago, I used homebrand stuff as I used to buy this in UK and also do here. The few odd things that I bought in UK that were make names, ie washing powder, nappies etc I can also get here so used them as a like for like comparison too.

Guest Woody and Jane

The sooner you stop converting everything back into pounds the better. You live in Australia and earn Aussie Dollars. It doesn't matter what the exchange rate is as it has no effect on your shop at Coles or Woolies.

If the exchange rate was 1.9 like it was just a couple of years ago your shopping would appear to be cheaper in Oz when in fact it isn't as it still costs you $112 regardless of the exchange rate.

By all means take advantage of the super strong dollar by buying things from the UK or US but the sooner you start thinking in dollars the saner you'll be.

The sooner you stop converting everything back into pounds the better. You live in Australia and earn Aussie Dollars. It doesn't matter what the exchange rate is as it has no effect on your shop at Coles or Woolies.

If the exchange rate was 1.9 like it was just a couple of years ago your shopping would appear to be cheaper in Oz when in fact it isn't as it still costs you $112 regardless of the exchange rate.

By all means take advantage of the super strong dollar by buying things from the UK or US but the sooner you start thinking in dollars the saner you'll be.

Aren't threads like this a good source of information for other poms about to make the move. Sure you don't convert anymore but for other newbies they still do it. I've been here 6 years now and still look at the conversions sometimes, usually for big ticket items. My partner is Australian and we go to England in 5 weeks time for a holiday and I know she'll be doing exactly the same thing checking how expensive or cheap things are.

Guest bishop3912
Aren't threads like this a good source of information for other poms about to make the move. Sure you don't convert anymore but for other newbies they still do it. I've been here 6 years now and still look at the conversions sometimes, usually for big ticket items. My partner is Australian and we go to England in 5 weeks time for a holiday and I know she'll be doing exactly the same thing checking how expensive or cheap things are.

Here Here AussieRob, my centiments exactly. I also feel that this site is to assist newbies and people of thinking of making the move over and threads are a source of information and were a god send to me before, during and once I had just landed, I get so cross when threads are redrailed just because someone dared to mention the cost of living in Oz!!!!, I hope PIA is not going the way other sites have gone!!! I know that I no longer convert and live to our ozzie salary here and see things as a $ rather than a £, but sometimes there is just a little niggle as to cost of things before we left the UK. Healthy comparison is in no way bad nor does it make you insane lol I was insane before I landed :wacko:

Guest Woody and Jane

Ahh but I am trying to help. To encourage people to not convert everything they buy is good advice. Yes I still do it on occasion, usually when I try to justify to myself that something is good value when I don't really need it.

Going on holiday to the UK (or anywhere for that matter) and converting everything is perfectly natural and makes sense as you're spending Aussie earned money and things that you buy will be genuinely cheaper or dearer compared to here.

The exchange rate is meaningless once you're here earning dollars as due to fluctuations, one week something maybe cheaper here and the next week it may be cheaper in the UK.

I personally don't find the supermarkets here to be that expensive. Using the current exchange rate we spend about the same per week as we did in the UK a couple of years ago. Using the exchange rate when we moved over our shopping is now cheaper here.

What I don't find helpful is scaring people by saying things are a lot more expensive here based on the current crazy strength of the dollar. I'm not trying to derail the thread at all, I'm simply offering another point of view which hopefully some people will find helpful.

Some things here are disproportionately expensive (oh god, when are bananas coming down in price, and bread? Don't talk to me about bread!?) but really you just have to change the way you shop. I used to buy pre-packaged jacket potatoes from Tescos - four large spuds in a pack - now I just sort through the trays of spuds till I find four big ones (not that easy, I can tell you!) and I cook a lot more things from scratch than I ever did in the UK - but maybe that's because I was working full time there and part time here...

Because of the Australian way of preferring to support local farmers (hear, hear) you will also find that you get into the habit of just buying what's in season, rather than buying the same fruit and veg week in, week out. And because supermarkets aren't open 24 hours here, and do shut on public holidays, I also keep an eye out for meat that is marked down before a closure and put that in the freezer. My favourite supermarket shopping time is 4:30 on the day before a public holiday, and I follow the lady with the "66% off" stickers around like a stalker!! Shopping in Central Market or your local farmers' market is also a good way to cut costs.

Oh, and cleanskin wines - definitely the way to go!

Guest Guest5035
My favourite supermarket shopping time is 4:30 on the day before a public holiday, and I follow the lady with the "66% off" stickers around like a stalker!!

OMG Pollyanna is that you.............

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

Well said, you've 2 choices buy it or leave it, no matter, what the price won't change.

stevo

Guest ebstar

I have been here just over three weeks and sat last night going through our grocerie receipts.This was more so that i could try and budget how many $'s i need per week for food,cleaning products etc.Since we are until i start work (and probably still then)a lower earning household ($50k)and also a family of 5.Shopping at woolworths we can just about cover the weekly shop for $200.I wanted to post purely to help anyone coming over in a similar situation get a rough idea on budget.I don't think going from spending £500/£600 per month in the UK to $800 per month here is too bad.What you also have to take into account is that what you eat here is likely to be different to the UK.We are drinking far more water and fruit juice and especially as the weather heats up will want lighter meals.I have noticed the "junk food" is more expensive,which is no bad thing.I have been quite dissapointed at the vast number of McDonalds and the like around.

On another note we did'nt ship any furniture at all and have just furnished the entire house including dinner service,towels etc for little more than many pay for shipping.If we looked at the exchange rate there we would have spent about 5x's as much to buy in the UK.

If anyone can tell me where the best markets are near Hallett cove i would love to give them a go.

Yep - I agree that there's no point constantly converting to AUD - I've been here nearly 4 years and my maths is certainly not a strong point - so would drive me crazy converting all the time! =) It was just an exercise out of interest really... lots of friends/family from the UK have commented on it so I thought I'd rather know the facts than just assume. Also just wanted to help any newbies out with some info as I know how useful it is before you arrive.

Some items were home brand and others branded - but I tried to do a like for like comparison as much as possible.

Agree on several points - yes I'm earning Aussie dollars, and I'm one of the lucky ones where I earn a fair bit more here than I would for an equivalent role in the UK. Also yes I agree - it's really important to consider fluctuating exchange rate here and also the way you shop - I too cook a lot more from scratch here and because meat/fish are more affordable, eat more of those than I did in the UK (where I was a poor near-vegetarian student!)

Definitely agree on the eating what's in season and supporting the farmers - happy to report the Woolies shop was an exception to the norm!

I also find whilst toiletries in supermarkets are more expensive here, there seems to be a wider variety in discount stores - same for household products, so sometimes it's good to stock up at places like Cheap as Chips.

Some items are defintiely more here - I agree on the bread... but then I think what good value amazing summer fruits are, great quality lamb etc and of course good value cleanskin (non branded or labelled) wines... so much better than some of the labelled cr*p in the UK... and to me, so much added value in buying wines that are local (and so much more fun enjoying tasting days as part of the buying process and educating yourself on what you like and trying new wines, not just grabbing a Jacobs Creek on special in Tesco).

The other thing to consider is just how much food prices have gone up in the UK in the past couple of years. And wages generally have not. Its a general trend here and with things like gas prices having jumped some insane percentage (£200 a year more for our household) and fuel is average £1.35 a litre for our area, factor in other living costs and its not cheap to live here at all.

Food items are increased in price, not only a few pence but 20 or 30p a time. I know my food bill keeps creeping higher and higher. And the meal deal things like BOGOF don't really help as often they are for junk foods or processed foods and I don't like to use those too much.

A few things I've noticed while shopping of late that have increased

*Bread (named brand) - gone up from 70/80p a loaf to an average of £1.20

*Hummus - Jumped 20p

*Baby wipes - now almost double the price

*Tesco own brand tissues - a few months ago 25p a box, now jumped 20 pence or so

*Digestive biscuits (named brand) 79p now £1.09 (they cunningly snuck the price up after they were on special for a couple of weeks and people forget the price beforehand)

*Ready meals - Another trick they are doing here (hubby eats them sometimes and I do notice this happening as a wider thing) is to keep the price the same but reduce the weight by 25 or 50g or so. This is also being done for tinnned stuff, sauces, ketchups, cereals and so on. So you pay the same but get less weight wise.

*Chocolate - cocoa prices have gone through the roof due to shortages at source. So even a Mars bar costs the other side of 55p these days. A Twirl was recently 57p! Buttons are 55p.

Chicken has jumped a massive amount in price. Even a couple of fillets cost a fiver. You can't buy those mass produced water injected £3 chook deals in Tesco these days, thats for sure (actually glad as this was so bad for the farmers and the birds, never bought one).

Fish - Cod is very expensive. Its been overfished and is now therefore stupidly priced. I can buy salmon more cheaply and yet that is considered a 'luxury' type fish by many.

I know even when I am holidaying in Aus I don't compare prices. I guess my years of living overseas got me well used to not comparing. There isn't any point and even when on holiday, I figure I'm on holiday so I am not going to worry. Its not like we are splurging on fine dining every night we are out or anything. Just the usual stuff and we keep within our limits.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Food items are increased in price, not only a few pence but 20 or 30p a time. I know my food bill keeps creeping higher and higher. And the meal deal things like BOGOF don't really help as often they are for junk foods or processed foods and I don't like to use those too much.

A few things I've noticed while shopping of late that have increased

*Bread (named brand) - gone up from 70/80p a loaf to an average of £1.20

*Hummus - Jumped 20p

*Baby wipes - now almost double the price

*Tesco own brand tissues - a few months ago 25p a box, now jumped 20 pence or so

*Digestive biscuits (named brand) 79p now £1.09 (they cunningly snuck the price up after they were on special for a couple of weeks and people forget the price beforehand)

*Ready meals - Another trick they are doing here (hubby eats them sometimes and I do notice this happening as a wider thing) is to keep the price the same but reduce the weight by 25 or 50g or so. This is also being done for tinnned stuff, sauces, ketchups, cereals and so on. So you pay the same but get less weight wise.

*Chocolate - cocoa prices have gone through the roof due to shortages at source. So even a Mars bar costs the other side of 55p these days. A Twirl was recently 57p! Buttons are 55p.

Don't get me started on this - I know prices are going up the world over, and probably by the same amount (my positive hat is on today), but have you seen the price of butter!!!

We buy pretty much all value range products (we can't afford more expensive ranges) and used to be able to do what I called a 'poverty shop' at the end of the month when it was getting tight for £20 for the week for both of us about 3/4 years ago (we did this regularly back then, things were pretty grim for us). We had to do a poverty shop a few months ago and it was £58 (and some change). And things (like butter) have gone up massively (from 90p to 1.10p) in that time. The rate of price increases is just mad - and at the same time we are all on wage decreases - how does that work - we are getting paid less, but shops are charging more for goods?!! Someone somewhere is doing VERY well out of this recession I have to say...

We've done the online shop comparison quite a few times, and all but once it has come out cheaper for us in Oz - plus we don't plan on using supermarkets if we can help it out there, which hopefully should reduce the cost even more. I think its just how you shop - we cook everything from scratch and don't tend to have any junk (well, we do, but we make it ourselves from scratch lol) which seems to be the way to go in Australia from what I hear from people (or from how people are moaning - no Tesco or Asda? Who would have thought lol - gees that thread made me laugh - silly woman!) - which we know is very very lucky for us, but again highlights how for us this move is such a good idea.

If you can't/don't want to cook from scratch I can see how it might be an issue and more expensive, but our view is, when in Rome.....

We generally were comparing to see if we could afford to move - its one of the things that is crippling us in the UK and meaning we have no spare money each month, so if we were to go from frying pan to fire, that wouldn't be great. Once we get there though we won't be comparing as we will no longer have anything to do with £, as we will be earning Aussie $ and spending Aussie $ - just trying to get the most for that $ lol.

Guest loopylisa

I stick by my original post that wages are higher. They are on average 33% higher. If you are going to convert everything back to pounds you surely must expect that comparison to be made. But as it clearly makes you uncomfortable I will share some of my OH's thrifty tips. We make our own yoghurt using a eezy yog machine, we make our own bread(as bed is expensive) and we also shop at gepps x farmers markets. Wheres theres a will theres a way. But yes for your own sanity think in dollars. I know its not easy, god knows I struggle.

Guest Adelaide_bound
I stick by my original post that wages are higher.

This is also where we win - we go from £30K to $65K minimum (and probably higher I just haven't worked it out completely yet as my teaching career has been interesting to say the least lol), plus another income, which even on min wage will be more than here (£0 lol), so for us it will rocket up. :) Yah!

Guest SA Great

I have been here for over 20 years. In my opinion the wages are the same working on a rate of $2 = 1 pound so therefore if i ever convert then i do it at this rate. I was a toolmaker for many years. Average wage here $25 per hour, in UK 12 pounds 50 per hour. Wife is a nurse and also works out at the same conversion rate of 2 to 1. So I think that if you want to convert then do it at this rate and it will be more realistic for what you are earning here otherwise with the crazy exchange rate oat the moment EVERYTHING will seem expensive here.