Advice on ant/ pest control

jo_marnes

Hi everyone,

I've got someone coming over to give me a quote for getting rid of ants in our house (must have a nest in walls/ loft). Can anyone give me advice on what the company should be saying and a rough idea on price? Don't want to be overcharged or not given the correct information/ treatment.

Many thanks!

Jo

Hi there

We have had a sudden influx of ants in the last few days. They are in out pantry and it seems everywhere in the kitchen. I have no idea where they are coming from. This happened previouslya few years . We have used the ant traps (where the ant takes the bait and takes in back to the nest where they all die - RIP) successfully (quite a few of them) previously and are trying it again. There certainly seems to be fewer as each day passes.

I luckily so far haven't had an ant problem, but in UK did ant got some ant powder and it seemed to do the trick they never came back and that was really cheap.... I recently forked out $200 for a termite inspection to be told it was a 50/50 chance that I might have them. Due to this I got the whole house done at a cost of nearly $2000 and asked at the end of it if they had seen any termites or found any damage only to be told none.....I guess it's better over here to have protected the house, but it's an expense that could have waited.... Check out the groupon,scoupon,cudo sites as they sometimes have deals..... But don't fork out too much as I'm sure ants don't take that much fighting.... Good luck in getting a cheap resolution!!!!!!!

We've got ants too - getting the house sprayed on Saturday for spiders so hopefully the ants will be less of a problem after that also?! Apparently if you have black ants you're less likely to get white ants - don't know if it's true or not...

We've got ants too - getting the house sprayed on Saturday for spiders so hopefully the ants will be less of a problem after that also?! Apparently if you have black ants you're less likely to get white ants - don't know if it's true or not...

The spider spray should be the same chemical as would be used to get rid of black ants but it will only act as a barrier. If the ants are already inside the house i.e. in wall cavity, it will not kill them. Black ants do eat white ants but only if their paths cross. It is possible to have both in one house.

Hubby was Senior Technician at Allstates Pest Control at Glandore until we returned to UK last year.

Guest Peachie

How much does it cost to spider spray you house we did it ourselfs last year and still got a few whoppers like red backs and a couple of white tails so wounder if the pros use stronger stuff

Deb x

How much does it cost to spider spray you house we did it ourselfs last year and still got a few whoppers like red backs and a couple of white tails so wounder if the pros use stronger stuff

Deb x

3 bed , 2 Living - Aussiemozzie - was quoted $135-175 - cost $120 for both inside and out and he sprayed the trampoline, trailer, kennel and fence. Last time we had it done was Jan 2010 and we'd only just started to get them in the house recently -saves having to keep doing it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickcoumbe

Deb x

From my experience in Horticulture the retail sprays available are way stronger and using nastier chemicals that the trade is ever allowed to use.

3 bed , 2 Living - Aussiemozzie - was quoted $135-175 - cost $120 for both inside and out and he sprayed the trampoline, trailer, kennel and fence. Last time we had it done was Jan 2010 and we'd only just started to get them in the house recently -saves having to keep doing it yourself.

....having said that, I've used way more than $120 of chemical and we still get stuff coming in, even if it does die soon afterwards. Might try the pro option next time!